Different Sense: 47

Eventually the fighting came to a halt, a slow halt but one none the less. They all watched with guarded eyes as their enemies fled without looking back.

Bard gave the order for his archers to send them a little gift, arrows quickly shot through the air and trailed after them.

In a blink of an eye it was over with. Thorin turned and looked at the battlefield which they all stood on. Many bodies of friend and foe lay, either motionless or injured. Looking up the Lonely Mountain seemed to look lonelier than it did before they all arrived. Despite of this, what lay within it was the most wonderful thought Thorin could ever ponder over. It seemed like such a fitting end to an adventure such as this. He presumed that this was the end however, when looking around he nodded; he was making it the end.

Looking at the army who were still standing, he whipped his sword in the air. The foul blood of orcs, goblins and wargs flew off the blade. Putting the tip in the ground he looked at the battlefield once more.

“We have suffered many great losses on this day, some friends and some family. Those who fell did not fall in vain, and they shall always be remembered. I, Thorin Oakenshield, will never forget them. They did not die in vain, for we have victory!” He raised his weapon skyward again. In return everyone else followed suit and cheered in triumph. All that was visible was a sea of weapons which shook excitedly in the air.

----

Dwarves, elves, men, nymphs and the lone hobbit stood victorious as one united unit. It was perhaps, one of the most amazing feelings Bilbo had ever felt. He joined in with the exclaiming in victory. As he was doing so he remembered his reluctance to come on this quest. But now, now he had never felt so pleased and thankful that he did.

Thorin had walked over and embraced him tightly before moving on to embrace those around him. Fili and Kili both got the life squeezed out of them, Bombur who seemed more than willingly to return the tight embrace. Bifur, Bard a nearby elf didn’t escape this moment either.

Lothiriel stood with the aid of Eruheran and likewise she helped him to stand too. The four gash marks which were carved out ran from her hip to her ribs. One claw had taken a small slice out of her waistcoat. Along with everyone else, she was covered in mud and blood, yet stood smiling lightly.

Giving a pat on Eruheran’s shoulder she awkwardly moved forwards, she seemed to drag her leg slightly behind her. As soon as she reached Bilbo’s side she reached out with her arm which wasn’t wrapped around her middle, and held him tightly. He patted her on the back and peered over her shoulder at everyone.

“No, no,” she shook her head and yelped when Fili and Kili grasped onto her and held her tightly. Despite her protests of being in pain they still held her, although their grips did loosen. She stuck her hand out to Bard.

“My Lady,” he said in his usual tone while his hand enveloped hers. Lothiriel smiled and he returned a smile back at her.

When it came to Thorin he looked at her appearance with a hardened look. “Warg,” she leant forward slightly. Despite his worry it soon got dismissed when Lothiriel leapt up and threw her arms around his neck. She flinched from the pain but ignored it for the sake of clutching onto him. She hummed contently and buried her face in the fur of his coat, although the fur was slightly worse for wear now. From the impact he had dropped his sword, but tentatively he reached up and wrapped his arms around her. His grip did tighten slightly which caused a pained noise to come from Lothiriel. Just like her, Thorin closed his eyes slowly and just stood enjoying the moment of holding her.

“So Bilbo, what’s your thoughts on this?” A hand distracted Bilbo’s gaze, looking up he looked at Gandalf who had placed his hand on his shoulder.

Giving a quiet chuckle he shrugged slowly. “I generally feel quite liberated.” He inhaled and exhaled slowly. “I am glad that you turned up on my doorstep.”

“Yes well I can whole heartedly agree with you.” Gandalf gave a wink. “See, you were far more worthy for a place in history than you thought, Bilbo.”

“Is this historic?” Bilbo’s eyes widened at the thought of being a well-known name.

“Oh yes, quite. This is a big achievement, although I must say that I do not think your name will be a household one. But don’t be disheartened by this, just be content in knowing that you were the hobbit who fought in a battle. One which was equally as important as to that one your great, great, great grandfather Took fought in.”

Bilbo gave a nod at this. “I suppose that makes sense.”

“Of course it does,” Gandalf scorned lightly, Bilbo looked up at him again. “You, Bilbo Baggins, are every ounce a Took as you are a Baggins. I do not see any reason why you can’t be both. I remember how this matter bothered you.”

“I suppose you are right,” Bilbo’s smile drifted slightly, he frowned when something else came to mind. “Gandalf, what am I to do now?” He looked up at the wizard beside him. “It seems weird to just pack up and leave and return home.”

“My dear Bilbo, pack up what?” Gandalf joked, Bilbo looked down at the ground. Bending to his height Gandalf smiled kindly. “You better think again if you think that they’re going to allow you to just leave.” Gandalf nodded over to the dwarves, who were by now chatting with some elves. Gandalf’s eyes went back to Bilbo. “You do not have to leave right this moment. Just, let things be for the moment. You can worry about what to do next when the time comes.”

“Indeed,” his expression dropped even more. It wasn’t going home which was making him worry, it was something else entirely.

“Bilbo, your friends will always now and forever be your friends. They will never forget you just like you will never forget them.”

“Will I ever see them again?” Bilbo asked uncertainty in his tone.

“You may,” Gandalf paused to think for a moment. “But then you may not. But doesn’t that make life more exciting, the not knowing? You never know who you may see again or who you may not. I for one find that this makes life exciting.”