Different Sense: 13

(A/N: ....-hug- ^^ .....btw; I've had one heck of a stressful meeting so this is calming me down. Come oooon brain, relax...)

----

The escape from Eryn Vorn was like a dream, it happened all too quickly. Quickly the trees and thick cover of the forest dwindled as they all ran as fast as they possibly could. None of them dared to stop, each of them ran a separate route.

Thorin could only sense the others running beside him, he couldn't exactly see because of the darkness of the night. Soon the open grassland appeared, but still they ran as fast as their legs could carry them.

Lothiriel was far ahead of them, her blond plaited hair trailing behind her like a golden streak. Balin was on her right and Bilbo to her left, the hobbit was running just a little way in front of Thorin. Gandalf was running in long strides, easily keeping pace or trailing a little way from the dwarves.

The rest of the company were elsewhere, as soon as they reached their ponies, they still continued to run. Gandalf led them now though, they entered a larger valley after running over a slight hill. They came to a speedy halt in front of a rock face and Gandalf turned.

“We must leave the ponies behind. We cannot get them down the slope, and the rest of your journey is no place for such an animal anyway. Lothiriel,” the wizard placed a hand on her shoulder snapping her out of her daze. “Jump.”

There was no hesitation, she jumped and disappeared behind the rock within seconds of being told to do so. Thorin started ushering the rest of the dwarves down the slope. Kili had started releasing arrows at the oncoming nymphs. Some did fall from the impact of an arrow, Thorin didn't think this was a wise move.

“Kili, no!” He rushed to the young dwarf's side and dragged his arm away from the oncoming threat. Kili looked at him with wide eyes. “Get in, Kili.” Regardless of his serious tone, Kili still meant to take the last shot. Thorin gave him a swift shove, “No, Kili. Get in! Go!” Thorin stood between him and any chance to release the arrow. Considering his attack had been compromised he jumped down and followed the rest of the company.

Finally all of them were swiftly making their way through the dark secret passage way. Bofur did surmise that it was quite fitting considering the situation they were currently in. 

“Do not think I don't know where you have lead us.” Thorin said, considering the sudden peace this was the first chance he had to talk to him.

“Thorin that should be the least of your concerns right now. But if you would prefer somewhere else, feel free to climb out and find somewhere more to your liking.” He snapped back over his shoulder, Thorin rolled his eyes. The wizard was right, there was nowhere else to go really.

Frowning lightly, something else came to mind. “Did you burn Eryn Vorn down?”

“No.” Gandalf's shoulders sagged. “Could you imagine if I did? No, though I have to admit a great part of it shall be burnt. They're Nymphs, specifically ones who dwell in the forest. Rebuilding nature is what they do.”

“And Lothiriel?” Thorin asked hesitantly. Gandalf didn't look back at him, nor did he respond for a few moments. He didn't actually reply at all.

They entered Rivendell exhausted, weary and still a little dazed. Elrond had offered his welcome and food and they all accepted as gratefully as dwarves could with the elves.

They ate, and drank and relaxed as much as possible. But Lothiriel did not join them. Thorin looked at his nephews, they were sitting close to each other conversing quietly. When the three caught each other’s glances, Thorin could see how shaken they were. He smiled a small smile to try and reassure them, but even he struggled.

He silently got up from the table and took to wandering around the city. Through his exploring he came across Lothiriel sitting on a stone bench in one of the wooded areas. She sat, shoulders shaking, a clear sign that she was crying. She held her head in her hands.

Looking up to the night sky he turned, in his turned position, Lothiriel had looked over her shoulder at him. He stopped, turned and looked at her. Walking around the bench she made her way over to him, she was repeatedly wiping her eyes although it didn't do much good because more tears replaced them.

Uncertainty spread throughout him, but slowly he reached up and placed his hand against her cheek. Lothiriel reached up and placed her smaller hands over his, pulling it away she smiled lightly. Her smile was broken and hollow though. Stepping forward as more tears began to fall she leant her head against his chest.

Thorin naturally looked around a little bemused. Comforting, and the act of comforting someone, was a little alien to him. None the less he reached down and wrapped his arms around her smaller form.