Different Sense: 03

Gandalf nodded and stepped forward. “Yes indeed. You'll have a few good stories of your own to tell when you return.” Gandalf added onto Lothiriel's words, he may have also put more emphasis into the excitement and mystery of the whole adventure.

Bilbo looked up at him and crossed his arms loosely. “Can you guarantee that I will return?”

“No.” Gandalf paused. “But if you do return, you will not be the same as you left.”

“See!” Bilbo exclaimed lightly and pointed a finger up at the wizard in front of him. “That is what I’m afraid of. I am sorry, really I am. But I can't come. It's been wonderful meeting you all though, so...good night.” With that said Bilbo turned on his heels and walked through the crowd of dwarves. No one made a sound, or spoke a word, the retreating hobbit did however make a quick glance at Thorin, who easily stared him down.

“We seem to have lost our burglar.” Thorin stated rather obviously. “What do we plan to do now?”

“Well I suppose we carry on.” Gandalf answered.

Bofur gave a jolt and shook his head. “Without our burglar, we don't stand a chance against Smaug!”

Much like earlier on the dwarves got carried away with shooting comments around. It was Thorin who quickly called for silence in the space again.

“We will do this with or without our burglar.” Thorin said while turning and quickly glancing at Lothiriel and Gandalf. “We do have, however, Lothiriel. So, not all is lost, not yet.” He paused, “We leave at first light, with or without Mr Baggins.” The last of his words were more like a statement than anything else, a statement which was said in a tone which no one could possibly contradict.

Whereas Gandalf gave a slow nod of acknowledgement, Lothiriel merely stood looking at him with unblinking eyes. The dwarf and the nymph got caught in yet another minor stare down before Thorin turned away and walked past his kin and walked towards the open fire.

----

The dark of night slowly ebbed away to give way to the bright light of the sun. It seeped through the trees casting thin tendrils of light through the leaves and branches. It peeked over the hills, the cascading light shone on the small rivers and valleys which rested in Hobbiton.

It was this very same bright sunlight which had slowly rested on the figure of Bilbo Baggins. He stood in his kitchen looking out of the window, the company he had the previous evening had left early before dawn. Looking down at his hand he frowned lightly at the contract which he stood holding.

There was the slightest pang from somewhere inside him, it was a dangerous business, stepping out of your door and walking somewhere to some place unfamiliar.

Giving a sigh, and regardless of his previous thoughts, Bilbo took his first step outside. Looking around expecting something drastic to happen, when nothing happened or appeared he took another hesitant step. From those two steps, two more followed, but then from those steps many more came after.

He was soon running down his little garden path, through the gate and down the road. He ran through the fields and over another fence, and before the possibility of glancing back at his home came to mind, Hobbiton was long gone and a adventure was staring him in the face.

“Wait!” Exclaimed and waving his arm in the air, he ended up stopping and breathing heavily. He quickly glanced up at Balin, who he was standing beside while trying to regulate his breathing. Thorin had turned after hearing the shouting hobbit, he looked at Bilbo in a state of minor disbelief, regardless of this look Bilbo had raised his arm again. He held the contract above his head like it was some sort of prize.

“I've signed it.”

Balin plucked the parchment from his hands and looked at it with an air of suspicion. After looking at the parchment with suspicion, he turned and looked at Bilbo with the same expression. Bilbo just gave a small smile as Balin proceeded to pull a lens out and started peering at the parchment again. When he saw the small signature next to the word 'burglar', Balin looked content and tucked the contract away, not before giving Bilbo a small smile.

“Welcome, Mr Baggins, to the company of Thorin Oakenshield.”

Bilbo smiled, he felt rather pleased with himself. His expression dwindled though when Thorin instructed someone to get him a pony. “What? No!” That was when his smile faded and he looked around rather blankly.