Different Sense: 17

Morning came quickly, as did their departure from Rivendell. Dawn had not yet peeked but Thorin was already up and prepared to go. He had been awake for hours, for this he blamed anxiety. He was still unsure about continuing without Gandalf.

As he gathered his things together he looked up as everyone began to appear. Balin was the first to look around still a little bleary eyed. He rubbed his eyes numerous times to try and get sleep out of them.

Balin put his hands on his hips and smiled in Thorin's direction. “Just us then, laddie.”

“Just us,” Thorin confirmed with a nod. Together they both took to trying to wake up the other dwarves. Bilbo stirred by himself and woke up slowly, but when he caught Thorin glancing at him he quickly leapt up and took to gathering his things. Once everything was in his pack, he swung it over his shoulders. Grabbing his hiking stick he looked up, he looked as prepared as he possibly could be. He wasn't content with leaving Rivendell, this information didn't shock Thorin in the slightest.

Thorin turned from him and watched as the early morning sun peeked over the hills. The warm light slowly flooded the City of the Elves. The water in the city was suddenly shimmering from the rays of sun.

It was time to leave, Thorin turned and saw Lothiriel making her way over to them. He greeted her with a curt nod, she smiled and lifted a hand to give him a quick wave before stopping beside Bilbo.

Thinking this was as good as time as any, Thorin looked over the company in front of him. “We leave now with haste. We do not stop for anyone, no pauses, nothing.” He paused. “If you are going to stay, then decide now.” He aimed this statement mainly at Bilbo, he in response swallowed slowly and wriggled his toes on the cold path. 

Lothiriel held a hand up. “If one is to stay, then it would mostly have been me.” She said honestly while trying to deflect Thorin's annoyance from Bilbo. Thorin frowned lightly from being glared at by two amber eyes, which happened to be avoiding blinking.

He said no more. He turned and led the group out of the city as quietly as possible, they began their climb to the top of the valley where they were to find the foot of the Misty Mountains. He frequently looked over his shoulder to make sure everyone was keeping up. He often found himself comparing the walks in distance, this only dampened his spirits which made him exceedingly grumpier.

Because of his change in moods he often snapped at whoever voiced a complaint, or if Bilbo tripped over his own feet and even at his nephews when they got into a childish argument.

Lothiriel on the other hand seemed in her element on this hike. She easily walked ahead, climbing over trees and rocks in her feline fashion. Her pace was steady and she didn't seem to be getting fatigued at all, whereas the dwarves couldn't say that.

Where they all grew tired, she continued on her way with ease. Thorin watched with slight annoyance as she climbed passed him, she didn't hesitate but she did glance at him quickly before continuing on. The last few days in Lothiriel's life were perhaps the most horrendous days she's ever likely to see, yet here she was cruising up what seemed to be a mere hill to her, but Mount Doom to them.

Lothiriel was kind enough to wait for them though. She sat in her cross legged fashion on a rock with her chin leaning against her hand. When Thorin reached her he had to resist the urge to collapse on the ground. She smiled lightly at him though, standing up slowly she placed a hand on his arm.

“I would have offered my help. But I thought best against it,” Lothiriel paused and pulled a thoughtful expression. “Mainly because I thought it'd go against your stubborn pride.” She explained while removing it and entwining it with her other hand.

Thorin looked at her and then up at the sky. Lothiriel turned too, “Think it'll hold off?” She asked while they eyed up the dark clouds which hung in the sky. These clouds also typically happened to be hanging menacingly over the top of the mountain.

“No, I don't.” Thorin glanced at her before picking up walking again, she quickly trotted forward to keep pace with him. It was clear that now their journey was going to get slightly worse. Getting over the mountain was going to be hard enough, with or without the rain which was biding its time to fall.

They didn't venture on much more before pausing again. There was something foreboding about this place. Dwalin made an appearance, due to the fact that he was slightly taller than Thorin, he easily towered over Lothiriel. She had to crane her neck up to look at him.

“Bloody mountain,” he grumbled. “It wasn't enough that it's killed my legs, and that I’ve had to listen to Bombur complaining repeatedly, but now it's going to rain.” He said irritably. “I've had just about enough for one day.”

“We're not done yet.” Lothiriel looked at him apologetically.

“Then why are we standing around here waiting? Why don't we just go and get this over with and get as far as possible before finding shelter for the night?” Dwalin said again, still highly annoyed, he would have continued if Thorin hadn't silenced him with one look.