Sleeping Subject

Today a scientist came. He didn't seem like much of a talker so I continued my machine wiping like any average self named teenager without a family would. Silence enveloped the two of us until our jobs led us to the same bed. He scratched notes onto a clip boarded paper about the sleeping subject while I washed down his bed's metal coating.

"He kind of looks like you." then the man moved on without another word. I continued my work without a sound until the man left. The time leading up until his departure was full of my itching want to visit the boy he had mentioned.

Inching my way back to the experimental human I realized it was the boy I had noticed the previous day. Once I flicked some bangs out of his peaceful expression I tried to see similarities in the both of us. We had the same petite nose and brown hair. Otherwise I couldn't tell wether or not the man had been joking.

The next week flew by quickly. The insane lady was pushed to the back of my mind after a few days of peaceful sleep.

Everyday consisted of reasonable food portions, cleaning out almost every room and coming to the lab ten minutes earlier than the day before. When I got there my instant question would be "Have they woken up yet?" But the untrustworthy answer would always be from Abby.

Every single time she responded with "They just had lunch." Quickly a plant of suspicion arose in my mind.

My one week anniversary of changing my name came swiftly. I awoke unaware of everything that would come.

"Morning!" I screamed to myself once I burst out from underneath the knotted blankets. Glancing at the clock I saw that it was seven in the morning, a perfect time for breakfast. I rushed in getting myself ready and only fell on the floor face first... twice. Then my empty stomach dragged the rest of me towards the cafeteria. Grabbing two bowls of cereal and a glass I apple juice I eventually sat down. Once I had finished my food I filed out into the hallway with the rest of the workers I hadn't come to know yet. I cleaned for a bout three hours, then I finally got into the lab with all the sleeping subjects.

Knocking on the door Abby was usually behind I got ready to ask when they would be walking up. After ten minutes of knocking I realized she wasn't just napping, she was gone. Ever since Verie put my fingerprint in the system I could open any door I needed to, and I decided now was the best time of any to try this one. Placing my thumb on the slick surface to the side of the door I waited patiently for the lagging system. Then my incoming breath hitched as it slid away in front of my very eyes.

"Well, if they let me come in then there's no reason why I shouldn't." and with that I made my way inside, resisting the urge to skip. The room was dark and cold, nothing like the rest of the building. "It must just be that no one has turned anything on in here yet." I told myself. Flicking on a few buttons the humming rumble of engines echoed through my ears. Then, realizing the miniature levers light up when I hit them, I couldn't help turning on the rest of the dull lights.

My fun ended when a screen I hadn't noticed started to glow. In less than a second security footage started to fizz up. I couldn't stay in Lucid Labs and longer.