Dumpster Diving

The city was nowhere near glamorous, which was a big downer for me, but considering the circumstances there was nowhere I would rather be. I hopped off the train ready for life in the city. Only when I saw a sign for a five dollar burger did I realize my big mistake.

"How did I forget money?" I shouted inside my head. Slapping my forehead a dozen times while I mumbled under my breath I cursed my stupidity.

Eventually I noticed a middle aged man watching me and who must have assumed I was crazy because when our eyes connected he sprinted off. Deciding I didn't want to freak anyone else out today I continued on, rolling an invisible suitcase behind me.

Walking through the streets I started to notice lots of trash cans outside each store. In each can I could tell their was tons of stuff. This stuff might be worth something, I thought to myself as I lifted up a thin plastic top.

The contents inside were far from pleasant. Their eye watering stench forced me to pinch my nose to the point where I thought it would rip off. Getting past the black wrapping paper I started to find hidden gifts of amazing things like, coupons. Hopefully they would be valuable enough for me to buy some things to survive.

Picking out of trash from store to store I continued to add on to my growing collection. Soon I was left with what I counted to be ninety eight colorful coupons, two broken computers, one dead bird and a whole bag of apples. The last item said was sitting outside of the grocery store all alone.

Then I was finally stopped at a rather clean, rather large, square building. "What do you think your doing?" A young looking lady inquires as she sassily places her hand on her popped out hip. One of her legs holds her up more than the other giving her the casual power of not caring about my answer.

"I'm broke so I've been looking for ways to find money." I explained in a steady voice showing no thought of danger.

"Well, I'll have you know..."

"Oh, Abby! Why don't you go check the electrical tubes or something, this situation is much too unimportant for you to attend." A kinder woman burst out from a door forcing Abby to get back inside.

"Well, I am important, aren't I?" The sour lady said while flipping her hair to one side. Then she was gone.

"So, what to do with you?" The nice worker questioned.

"You could let me go." Hopefully I placed a thought in her working brain wishing that it would grow larger than any others.

"I have something even better for you." My heart skipped a beat as I feared the decisions Abby could have planted much earlier. "You could work here!" Enthusiastically she threw up her hands.

"Umm, and where exactly is here?" My words seemed to almost crack the girl's joy in half as her arms fell, limp.

"Well, non other than the Lucid Labs." She replied in a nice voice, but not as welcoming as before.

"Sure, I'll take the job!" I shouted trying to revive her joyous mood. The video came back to my mind of the man standing I front of this very building, the fascination of seeing it in real life had obviously taken over.

"Great! You can be a janitor, all you have to do is sweep, dust, and all those sorts of things!" She jollily responded while waving me in. "My name is Verie, what's yours?"

"My name is Ans." I replied, fully embracing my self given title.

"Ans. That's quite a peculiar name, isn't it?" Verie commented while she still led me forward.

"It's a peculiar name, but it fits perfectly with a peculiar world."