Chapter 11- Nightmares To Come

It was two months after adopting Percy and Pepper and Happy could definitely see the improvement. Instead of going out and 'socializing' he stayed away from that stuff.

But to the public he was still the prick and playboy and narcissistic that they thought he was with some persuading and money that is.

He started to help Pepper more with the company helping with the burden that was on her when he was his playboy self.

Whenever he was in the lab he spent fewer days in the lab itself and more time helping Percy with his homework or just playing with the boy.

There were the trips that he had to take and sometimes, if it was driveable, he would bring Percy (the kid refused to go on another plane unless it was life or death) and that was fine.

When Tony did have to leave state Happy would stay at the Malibu house and keep Percy occupy but they still made frequent phone calls.

It also wasn't uncommon for Percy to approach Tony before bedtime and bring him a book that he wanted Tony to read or have Tony create a story for him (most of the time though Tony just told him historical events and created action like the Boston Tea Party).

The Malibu House itself became more secure and off the guid not allowing the risk of anyone finding out about Percy and using it against Tony.

The two themselves have grown increasingly so. Now Percy would hang out in Tony's workshop and as Tony would work would talk about what he was doing so Percy could learn.

The kid was a fast learner when he was being shown something instead of having to just read about it. Mostly because of the dyslexia problem.

It was one morning on Pepper's birthday when she went down the stairs to remind Tony about the plans for Afghanistan and how Stane would be here shortly.

So far they both were able to keep Stane out of the loop, because they were worried how he would react and that he might somehow get the paparazzi's eye on Percy which neither of them wanted.

"Happy birthday Pepper." Percy chirped in his happy voice when he spotted her.

Tony smiled and Pepper and him had their banter when he shocked her, "Also, you gift for your birthday will be given to you for tonight." he said and before she could respond Tony lifted Percy onto his shoulders and made his way out to get ready for the plane ride that was tomorrow.

It was the next day and he was going to be late to the plane but he was going to spend it with goofing around with Percy. Course Rhodey was going to be annoyed with him but that wasn't new and it wasn't like he also knew about Percy.

Tony wanted Rhodey to know, he was his best friend for a reason, but he hasn't gotten the time (more Rhodey than him) along with the fact that Rhodey worked for the government and if questioned he technically couldn't lie.

So, Tony boarded the plane to head to Afghanistan according to Stane's orders and request from Rhodey.

"Do you have to go?" Percy asked just before Tony was about to leave the house, his voice was quiet and almost filled with anxiety.

Tony moved away from the door and Happy knew that he was going to let Tony handle this and prepared both cars.

Tony knelt in front of Percy, "What's wrong bud?" he asked gently.

"I just feel like something bad is going to happen." Percy replied quietly not wanting to bring his nightmare up.

"Is this about what's been keeping you up?" Tony asked reading Percy easily enough.

Percy hesitated then nodded shyly and looked away.

"Bud they're just dreams." Tony said and picked up Percy and placed him on his hip.

He watched as Percy frowned, "Then why do people say that dreams show us the future that lays ahead?" Percy asked but it mostly came out as a whisper.

"You know my feelings toward philosophy." Tony said trying to make Percy laugh as he scrunched up his nose but his face still showed amusement.

It worked and Percy giggled before he fell silent again, "Can you promise me you'll be careful." Percy said not wanting to lose another member of his family.

Tony smiled at Percy but it wasn't the normal one he usually used for Percy. It had seriousness etched into it, "I can promise that I can do my best to return. No matter what I'll return." Tony said and kissed the top of Percy's head.

Percy smiled and wrapped his arms around Tony's neck, "I love you." he murmured into Tony's shirt.

Tony paused. It was really the first time that they exchanged words like that but he quickly got unfazed because the great Tony Stark doesn't do faze and replied, "Love you too bud, now I got to go or Rhodey will have my head." he said crouching again so he could release Percy.

"When am I going to meet Uncle Rhodey?" Percy asked suddenly excited and bright.

Tony paused reviewing the words. Sure he always told Percy that Rhodey was like a brother to him but if he actually called him his uncle  then... even with no words said Tony felt pleased and flattered, "As soon as I get back deal?" Tony asked holding out his pinkie.

Percy's smile widened, "Deal." he said and they shook Pinkie's.

A car honk in the distant and Tony laughed as he stood up, "See you later buddy." Tony said making it sound like a promise and messed up Percy's hair with his hand.

Percy just smile and watched as Tony left to go race with Happy to the airport where Rhodey would be waiting.

But as Percy watched Tony leave his smile dropped. His nightmare about gun fire in this sort of desert and this sort of operation going on.

Most of it was just images but what he remembered most was the cold hard metal face and the blue light that was in the center of it all in the shape of a circle with bullets flying at it