Flipping Off Old Ladies

Demi's POV

I walk into the kitchen the next morning when I hear my mother's voice telling us that breakfast is ready, today's Sunday, so she makes a special breakfast before we go to church. I sit down next to Madison and my mother as we wait for the rest of the family to show up at the table. When everyone's here, we say a prayer and dig in. My mother's cooking is really good, so it's always enjoyable. 

When we are done eating, my mother sends all of us to get ready for church except for me. She tells me to stay and talk to her and my stepdad, I sigh hoping that he's going to say something I like. 

" Well Demi, your mother and I discussed it through last night. We've decided that you can date that bo-" My step-dad starts to say but I cut him off in excitement.

" Thank you! " I say giving them both hugs.

" I wasn't finished Demi. " He said looking like he doesn't want to be having this conversation.

" Oh. " I say releasing the hug, I have no idea where this is going. 

" Like I was saying, we've decided that you can date that boy if I like him after we meet him. " He says making my smile drop.

" Why? " I ask wishing that this wasn't happening. 

" I'm just worried about you dating a boy that's eighteen. " He says looking concerned. 

" What are you worried about? " I ask feeling confused. 

" Well for one, I know how boys can be at that age. For two, he's older, he could want...sex. " He says making me cringe.

" Okay, first of all, he wears a purity ring. Just keep that in mind, and second, I'm now leaving so we don't have another terrifying sex talk. " I say walking away to my room, I think my step-dad is okay without talking about it as well. I get dressed for church and think about what my step-dad said, would Joe want to meet my parents so soon? Like we're not even in a real relationship yet. It's only been two dates. 

*****

" So take out your text books and turn to page 483. Then read with your partner to page 490, be ready to discuss these pages when the time comes. " Mrs. Collins says to the class making everyone groan. I turn my pages of my text book to the page she said and start to skim through the reading but find myself getting bored with it. My partner is like super smart and antisocial so he just reads by himself which is okay with me to tell you the truth. 

" Psst...Demi. " I hear behind me among the semi silent room, I sigh and turn around to see Selena two rows back. I mouth 'what?' to her which makes her get her pointer finger out and motions for me to come to her. We haven't been able to talk since Friday when we were with the boys, since a week ago, she dropped her phone in the bathtub. 

I take a glance at the teacher who is going into the back closet to get something, I hurry and go to Selena and crouch down next to her desk. 

" What is it? " I ask wondering what she needs now, we have P.E. next class so we usually just wait to talk then.

" Nick told me you went on another date with Joe. " She says whispering, we both take a glance at the closet and see that the teacher is still in there. 

" Shouldn't we be reading Selena? " Her partner asks her, Selena sighs and replies with waving her off. 

" We can talk about this is in P.E. Selena, go to work and read with your partner. " I say starting to get up, Selena glares at her partner and gets to work. I hurry and go back to my partner right before the teacher exits the closet  with a box in her hand. Mrs. Collins can be cruel, Selena and I get into major trouble all the time in this class. I'm just glad I didn't just get caught.