Ch•10- Invitation

Start from the beginning

     Jessi relaxed as his thumb lightly wiped over the cut. He was right, the medicine didn't hurt at all "Thank you" she smiled as Tony taped on a bandaid over the cut. Good as new "and... sorry about the picture, I didn't mean to-"

     "Eh, I don't care. I never really liked that picture anyway" Tony shrugged, shutting the cabinet "just be careful, I remember when I was your age. I was running around my house and I smacked my head in to the side of the kitchen table. 20 stitches"

"Eesh" Jessi squinted her eyes. "That makes my stomach feel all weird"

"Anyway, don't break anymore stuff" Tony warned "and don't break any bones, okay?"

"Okay!"

                                       ***

     Later that night, I sat on the couch in Dads workshop watching Tv. An itchy feeling came from my forehead but I restrained myself from scratching it. The news was playing on the Tv, something about a party being hosted downtown. Dad sat at his computer behind me, mumbling to Jarvis about his test flight, about how his suit began to ice up in the middle of the sky. He said that since ice had formed on the outer part of the suit, it caused his suit to malfunction and cease flying. I sat with my feet kicked over the arm rest, playing a hologram checkers game on a hologram tablet.

     A reporter for the news was talking on the Tv about some kind of banquet party that's going on down town "Tonight's red-hot red carpet is right here at the Disney Concert Hall, where Tony Stark's third annual benefit has become the place to be for L.A.'s high society" I lifted my eyes up to the Tv when I heard Dads name.

      "Jarvis, we get an invite for that?"
I heard Dad ask from behind me. He was now focusing his attention on the TV that I was watching.

"I have no record of an invitation, sir"
Jarvis replied.

     I looked back towards the TV to continue watching, the channel was talking about him "... He hasn't been seen in public since his bizarre and highly controversial press conference" An old picture of him at the press conference from about a month ago flashed on screen "Some claim he's suffering from posttraumatic stress and has been bedridden for weeks. Whatever the case may be, no one expects an appearance from him tonight"

I spun around to look at Dad "Does that mean you're going?"

      "The render is complete"
Jarvis alerted. Dad looked back to his computer to the newly colorized suit that he designed.

"A little ostentatious, don't you think?" Dad asked. I don't know what that means.

"What was I thinking? You're usually so discreet"

     "Jes, what's your favorite color? and don't give me some pink BS" Dad scratched his goatee, not taking his eyes from the computer.

    "Blue, or maybe Red, like the color of that cars flames" I pointed to one of his older model cars that sat at the front of his sports car line. I walked up next to him, looking at the screen. A computerized model of the suit spun around slowly on the screen. It was coated with an ugly golden color.

    "Tell you what" Dad pointed his finger towards the computer "Throw a little hot-rod red in there, for the kid" I watched as Jarvis added the red color to certain parts of the suit.

     "Yes, that should help you keep a low profile" after a few seconds, Jarvis alerted us once more "The render is complete"
Dad examined the image of the red and gold suit on the screen, before shutting off the screen.

"Hey, I like it. Fabricate it. Paint it"

"Commencing automated assembly. Estimated completion time is five hours" Jarvis said.

    "Don't wait up for me, honey" Dad stood up from his seat, adjusting the icepack on his head.

"Where you going?" I asked, following him up the stairs to the living room.

"A party" he answered.

"Can I come?"

     "You? A party? On a school night?!" I honestly thought he was about to yell at me for asking to go to a grown up party, but his answer surprised me "I don't see why not. Put on something nice, anything but that" I paused, feeling slightly offended from his comment. I thought my clothes were nice. A 'Save the Manatee' t-shirt with black pants.

     Quickly, I sped up the stairs to my room. Pepper and I went on a major shopping trip last week and bought dozens of new clothes for myself, including a nice sky blue dress that stopped just above my knees. It covered my chest well and had wide straps that covered my shoulders. I quickly slipped it on, and stepped in to some black flats. My first formal party, my life was starting to turn around for the better.