7 - Run

As I walked through the corridors, I noticed for the first time thin lines of different colours displayed on the floor. There were four of them; red, yellow, green and blue. I didn't know what was the most shocking between not noticing them since they were quite obvious or not remembering what Ariana said about them. The memory problems were getting out of hand.

'Dear Lord, Ariana! What have I done to this poor girl?'

Thinking about my previous actions, the small girl must have been scared to death. She deserved an apology in the least, but that was if I could remember it. No, I would need to make an extra effort to remember because she really did deserve one.

As I follow the only opened path, I stood in front of a gate where the yellow line disappeared behind it and the metal plate next to it indicated that this was the "Training field". Just as every other door in the facility, it was a metallic armoured one that slid inside the wall.

Behind it was a small hallway with 20 doors each numbered from T-1 to T-20.

"Wait!" a girl shouted before I could step into my designated room.

I turned around to see another brunette approached. She was wearing a lab coat. It took every strength I could muster to not find refuge within my training room. Lab coats were simply not good omens...

As the girl finally caught up with me and put her hands on her knees. The raspy sounds of her respiration told me that she either ran a lot in order to intercept me or that she was definitely out of shape. She raised her hand and motioned that she wanted to talk, but her heavy breathing got in the way of understanding her words. So I basically had to wait. As awkward as it could get, she finally raised her head.

"H...hi, I'm Kendall. I'm one of the a...assistants and I was in...informed to give you th...this." she panted as she was still catching her breath. "Sorry I didn't have the time to give it to you earlier but better be late than never! R...Right?"

Her hand went into the pocket of her lab coat to retrieve a small leather journal. It was clear that it was old due to the marks on the cover. Before I could open it, Kendall instructed me that I should read it while I would be somewhere private to prevent unwanted people to be informed about classified information.

"Well, I have to go, it was nice to meet you Byakko!" she spoke extending her hand.

A frown crept on my face as I heard that name. It irked me whenever someone said it. I didn't want to be related to something that the Devil forced upon me, I would get my revenge. Eyeing suspiciously her hand, I wasn't sure if I wanted to trust her. After all, she was on their side.

"Hum, yeah... I will be on my way then." Kendall said awkwardly as she retracted her hand and left.

I might have been rude, but they weren't angels either. With a shrug, I turned around and stepped into the room T-10. They had it coming.

The training room was quite small. It only had a locker, a bench and everything else that could be found in a bathroom. There was also another gate at the far end of the room. Deep down, I suspected that they had a door fetish.

I placed the book somewhere and began to roam into the locker room.

"Byakko, you are allotted 20 minutes before beginning the trial. Remember to enter the dome before the countdown ends. There will be an additional penalty if the order is not followed." a voice said through the intercom.

Suppressing a cringe, I took a well-deserved shower. The cold drops rolled down my body as I lost myself in this pleasure. It has been a long time since I haven't taken one and I enjoyed every single bit of it. I did prefer warm showers since it eased the tension of my sore muscles, but a cold one would increase my awareness. That was probably something highly needed in the next few minutes. After finishing my routine, I wrapped a towel around myself and opened the locker to retrieve the clothes stored inside.