3 - Rebirth

Warning: mention of suicide.

__________

The monotone buzzing sound of the Holter monitor echoed in the room as I lazily tried to open my heavy eyelids. Saying I was exhausted would completely be an understatement. It felt like life has been sucked out of my body and staying conscious more than a minute was a great achievement in itself.

The room I was held into was slightly different than the previous one, it was like a bedroom with no window. Rectification, a concrete vault furnished with a simple hospital bed and a small desk with a cheap aluminum chair. A metallic door was standing imposingly in the middle of the opposite wall where the bed was positioned and there was a camera on each corner of the room. It was, indeed, quite depressive. A buzzing sound came from the door before it opened signalling that I had an unwanted visitor.

"Byakko, finally awake as I can see!" a manly voice said.

I turned my head toward the voice and saw him, that Devil.

"F ... i ... ng ... b ... ch...!" I answered back having difficulty voicing my thoughts (Fucking bitch).

"I did not get a single word of what you were saying, little Byakko, but I came to see how you were doing and you are perfectly fine! That is, minus your speech... You probably have a speech impairment but your neurons should make new connections by themselves soon enough. Oh and by the way, call me Dr. Drake from now on." the madman said.

I wished I could punch that smirk off his face to make him pay for everything he did or worst, kick his crotch. That would give him a stronger aftertaste of the Y/L/N signature. However, deep down, I just wanted to curl up in a ball and cry because of the past events that all happened in the span of a few days.

"W ... w ... e ... ere...IIIIII?" I questioned him (Where am I?).

"Well, you really do sound horrible. Until then, I am happy to see that you're alive and I have high expectation from you, Byakko. Don't deceive us! If you try to escape, there is a fine punishment I'll have the pleasure to prepare. If you attack someone without permission, it will have the same result. If you kill me, someone else will take my place and trust me when I say this, there are worst people out there." the lunatic spoke and left without even answering my question.

I understood that if I wanted some answers, he wouldn't be the one to provide them.

As I got lost in my train of thoughts, I felt that there was something weird about me. It was hard to explain, I felt like I knew something changed but I couldn't identify what it was.

A second horrible buzzing sound resonated through the room as a short woman came in. Her name was Ms. Grande if I recall correctly. After looking closer, she was indeed beautiful. Her brown hair was silky and her deep brown orbs were captivating.

"Good afternoon, Byakko. Today, I will explain how our system functions and the goals you have to reach."

As she said the name Byakko, I glanced around to make sure there was nobody but us in the room. Unsurprisingly, there was no one else in here, so that meant the message was intended to me. Why would they call me this name? The pet naming was so juvenile but on reflection, it wasn't very surprising when you're under the charge of a lunatic named Drake.

Due to my incapacity to form a coherent sentence, it felt like this would be a long speech. I scooted back against my pillow in a more comfortable position.

"So let's begin. As you know, you will be named Byakko. You have been brought here to become a subject of our experiment. You are the 10th subject that survived even though..." the brown-eyed girl spoke glancing down at her notepad as I quirked my eyebrow.