CHAPTER 21

Damon was flustered at Aileen's ability to convince, rather order him to sing at recital. Only if she knew his little experience with singing and music. All the ladies' presence at once around him was surely making him berserk and lose little ounce of remaining sanity he possessed. There was still quiet a few hours left for recital yet. Everyone was supposed to go for a boat ride after the luncheon at lakeside. May be then, he can ask Aileen to accompany him for boat ride and convince her to sing than him. He had tried to converse on the matter with her earlier as well, but she always managed to avoid his attempt of speaking with her. These past few days, though none of the situation seemed favourable on his side. 

Luncheon was over soon, and only a few people were interested in the boat ride, rest opted for other activities that caught their eye. Damon caught Aileen standing a few feet away from him, without any company. He took his chance and made his way to her. In a few long strides he was standing next to Aileen, to which she was oblivious until he cleared his throat. She looked at him but before she could say anything, he spoke,"My Lady, would you care for a boat ride?". Aileen furrowed her eyebrows at him skeptically, then as if after thinking it through, nodded at him.

Damon took her hand in his arm guiding her to the lake where only one out of the five boats was left available. He gestured his hand forward asking her to get in first, helping her to take a seat in the boat. Then, soon he followed and seated himself opposite her. As Damon took hold of oars and was about to row, Beth came into view. 

Beth said,"Oh Damon dear, I am so glad you are still here, I will accompany you two as well, the weather is so divine for a boat ride. If you will help me." She smiled a sweet smile at her nephew and brought her hand forward for him to assist her. Damon shook his head and offered her his hand getting up from his seat. Beth seated herself next to Aileen and thanked Damon."Now row along and lets enjoy the calmness of this weather." She ordered him.

'What calmness is there left when you have dragged yourself along.' He thought. However,he nodded in his Aunt's direction with a fake smile and rowed the oars with his both hands. He thought, Perhaps, there was a brighter side to his Aunt's company, now may be he can convince her to let go of her proposition for their performance at recital. He can at least try, even though it was easy to convince a burro once to change its direction than his Aunt. A smile crept up on his face, on his comparison of his Aunt with a burro. Sometimes she could be absolutely stubborn, deriving pleasure from other's embarrassment.

Beth looked at Aileen sitting calmly and admiring the view of huge lake in front of her. Beth inquired,"So tell me dear, have you decided on your performance?". Aileen looked in Beth's direction,  worry etched over her face. Beth asked again,"Do not tell me you have not even conversed about what you two will be performing?". This time Beth glanced in Damon's direction and then again at Aileen confusedly.

Aileen smiled and glanced at Damon, before making eye contact with Beth," As a matter of fact, we did. We have distributed our contribution. Don't you worry at all." Beth seemed relaxed at Aileen's statement, but Damon cringed, furrowing his eyebrows at Aileen. 

Beth asked Aileen,"So tell me which song you will be singing? Surely you have a beautiful voice, you must be a good singer?"

Aileen smiled at Beth," Genuinely, Lord Damon here has opted whole heartily for the singing part. I will assist him with a musical instrument." Beth cringed at the mention of Damon's singing and gazed at Damon questioningly. This time Aileen said,"Though, I am thankful for your compliment on my voice, I cannot sing for the betterment of the ton as they might go deaf after my attempt at singing." Aileen blushed at her mention of her flaws at singing in front of Damon and his aunt.

Beth snorted at Aileen,"And what avouch your opinion on Damon's singing talent? If you cannont sing for safety of the audience, you certainly should be worried of his singing disaster." This time Aileen looked at Beth bewildered on her statement about her nephew. She then glanced at Damon, as if asking him through her eyes if what his aunt said was true. Damon just shrugged at her. Beth spoke again," Well, you see, Damon has a history with songs and recitals." At this Damon tried to speak but Beth glared at him making him mumble something under his breath.Beth continued,"When he was five years of age, his mother hosted a recital at manor, she asked him to sing at that recital. After his singing, there was no other performance as people preferred to retire for night. If you could understand what I mean to convey."