CHAPTER 43

Aileen elbowed Damon as she tried to have a look herself across the wooden wall that adjoined their room with their rivals. Even though it was not certain whether they had some relation to Crooke, it was apparent that these men were involved in something illegal. Damon sighed and stood up straight from slightly bent position as he glanced at Aileen.

He was about to speak something before Aileen pushed him aside and bent to have a look herself across the wall. Damon shook his head and slid a chair from near table as he sat on it whilst Aileen peeped through the minute hole. 

There was not much to hear or rather see as there were only four men in room who seemed to have a rather bland conversation about horses as they enjoyed their cigars and brandy. Craske and Ashburn were included as well but did not participated in conversation. Aileen was eager to find some clue or something rather informative but these gentlemen truly seemed to be on a trip than an escapade. 

Damon was seated comfortably in his chair with a perfect view of Aileen's slightly bent form such that her rear end was at his eye level. He could not help but smirk at the beautiful view in front of him. Aileen felt Damon's gaze on her and looked back at him only to come across the realization of her position and the direction of his gaze. 

She suddenly stood straight and glared at him although her glare could not calm the rosiness of her cheeks. She glared at him as she said," What are you doing sitting there?" 

Damon grinned at her and shrugged his shoulders as he replied her," I was merely sitting and enjoying the view my seating arrangement provided me."

Aileen stared angrily at him and then her eyes turned towards the surrounding of room in order to locate something hard enough to hit the grotesque man on his head. Only he could be the one to annoy her so. She took a calm breath and steadied herself as she spoke,"If you are done with your outrageous remarks then perhaps you would like to make yourself useful for current situation before I squander my patience and take initiative to hit your head with something." She puffed and crossed her arms.

Damon chuckled at the threat and stood up before her,"If you knew me any better by now, you would have been convinced I would gladly lay my head before you." He thought inwardly, the same as I had laid my heart in front of you although you are too consumed to take notice. 

Aileen shook her head and turned around as she gazed at the wooden wall,"I do not intend to play your games though I am interested to find something informative tonight."

Damon took a step and stood next to her as he said,"Very well, We shall listen to the conversation then, there is a probability they might slip something for our use." Aileen nodded at him and both of them bent forward to hear the sounds coming their way through the hole.

It had been an hour but nothing useful turned out as both of them listened the conversation. Aileen and Damon were now seated on the floor, their ears pressed next to the wall. Damon was intent on grabbing something out as he felt a pressure on his shoulder. He looked at his shoulder only to find Aileen's head laid on it. She was asleep on his shoulder as he had his head pressed to the wall. He shifted slightly to support her which resulted in her nearing his person even more.

Aileen hugged Damon tightly as she slept which made him to support her with his arm over her shoulder. He did not wish to wake her as he knew the day would have been hard for her and he could not take her to bed as she might wake up and blame him for taking advantage of the situation. He sighed and once again looked at the her asleep form. A stray hair had escaped from her plaid which seemed to be bothering her as she slept. She wriggled a little but the hair did not moved. Damon smiled and brought his other hand forward as he lightly moved the tendril away and steadied it behind her ear.