CHAPTER 39

Damon had to think fast and act rationally before Aileen went out and did something suspicious. Though, firstly he will have to ask about this certain Frenchman mentioned in letter he brought from Earl of Haddington's house. He knew his friend Duke Lorenzo might have a clue to this person's being. He was active over the private matters with French government and dealt with them. Damon hastily took his coat and left to call upon his friend.

Damon was greeted and shown to the morning room of the Duke's townhouse. He seated himself and waited for his friend's arrival. The door to the room opened and in walked the Duke Gabriel Lorenzo who seemed cheerful and in high spirits,"Ah, Good Morning Richards! What brought you here at this time of the day." He patted on Damon's shoulders who stood up to greet his friend and the Duke gestured for him to have a seat.

Damon grinned at Gabriel and greeted him,"Good Morning Your grace! May I ask what is the cause of such high spirits in the morning?" Damon smirked at him and noticed the whimsical expression his friend had on his face.

Gabriel shook his head and smiled,"Since when do you started to address me with the title? And what about the high spirits. I have always been like this." His smile widened at the mention of his behavior.

Damon shook his head and bespoke,"Do not trick me into believing you my dear friend. We have grown together and I am always the one to know of your mood being sullen in mornings. You seem to have changed for good in this past year." Damon noticed the contentedness his friend has on his face and the ever smiling face he possessed now. Who could believe this man was considered ruthless at one time. 'What love could do to a man.', Damon thought.

Gabriel chuckled at Damon and said,"I am a changed man now. I have an adorable wife by my side and soon there is going to be a child to grace our life with more happiness. You won't believe what love could do to a man." Damon rolled his eyes at him. As if he did not know. Though, he was quiet happy for Gabriel.

Gabriel smirked and told Damon," You behave as if you are oblivious to the feelings." He noticed Damon's eyebrows raised at his remark, so he explained further,"Even a visually incapable person can see the way you look at Lady Maxwell. You are doomed and I would gladly like to welcome you in my category."

Damon shook his head. He knew it was of no value to deny his accusation. Only if the Lady in question could understand him but she was stubborn on courting that Ashburn. Suddenly Damon realized his reason for the visit in first place.

Before Damon could speak, Gabriel asked further,"Would you like some tea at this hour or would you prefer a drink in my study?"

Damon thought it would be better if he discussed the matter in a rather private setting so he chose to accompany Gabriel to his study,"Though I would not prefer a stiff drink at this hour but I would like to converse with you in your study." Gabriel nodded in understanding and both men got up from their respective chairs and headed to the study.

Damon did not wish to waste any time further and asked of the matter that worried him,"Gabriel, Do you by any means know a Frenchman Sir Vincent Boudoin?" Gabriel looked at Damon for a while and his expressions now subtle.

Gabriel answered him,"Yes I do, In fact you have also got the pleasure to be in his company once." Damon furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and Gabriel noticed his confusion and explained further,"When we were in France last year, we were introduced to him at a ball. He is highly proclaimed ambassador in France. Why do you ask of him suddenly?"

Damon was now certain this ambassador had some relations with the treason with British government. He now remembered being acquainted with the man in France on one occasion. He will have to ask of what was sealed in the papers he retrieved in Hartfordshire to know more of the scheme they now plotted. He replied Gabriel,"Someone mentioned him in the Ball last night, I could not remember being acquainted with him before."