chapter twenty eight

Start from the beginning

I smiled at him and slowly started to shake my head. He wiped his face with his hands and then stopped to see me smiling in front of him. His eyebrows were furrowed and his lips were pouted (it was his signature face).

"Thank you." I said. Before any other words were exchanged between us, I dropped my basket beside me and stepped forward as my arms wrapped around him. This touch was so familiar to me, but it didn't feel anything like May. It was friendly. Warm, even. We pulled away and just stared at each other. "I really appreciate that."

I remember when Julia confessed to me on the phone, I wasn't upset with anyone but Mason. He was the one that knew I had problems with her but he still found himself in her pants. I was so incredibly relived and thankful that he came clean to me.

"Oh, okay." He chuckled into a grin. "I'm glad."

"Yeah." I smiled. "And I'm glad that we're talking right now. I was starting to miss you at school."

"Does that mean you're not a lesbian anymore?" His entire face lit up.

"No!" I laughed as I rolled my eyes. He playfully pouted and slumped his shoulders downwards. My laughter faded out as I stared at Mason for a little while longer. "It just means I miss you."

"Well," he paused and stood up straighter, "I missed you, too, Ash."

I beamed at the boy.

"Alright, so, is tonight's sleepover going to require chocolate milk, soda, or ice cream with those famous cookies of yours?"

I looked down at my basket for a few moments before tilting my chin up to him.

"All three would be fantastic."

"Awesome, I'll help you pick them out." He led me down the aisle. I couldn't stop smiling as I trailed behind him - I was so incredibly happy. Even though I didn't miss Mason as a boyfriend, I definitely missed him as a person and his wonderful company.

After all, he knows about me more than I do.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

"I'll get it!" I ran to the front door after I heard the doorbell chime throughout the house. I opened it up to reveal a very beautiful May Parker. "Hi." I smiled.

"Hi." She repeated and stepped inside before I invited her to. I shut the door behind her and told her to take off her shoes. She did. "Where should I put my stuff?" She asked.

"I'll take it." I grabbed her pillow and tote bag before I practically sprinted into my room to put it down before I dropped it all over the place.

I came back to find my mom chatting up a storm with May in the kitchen. I smiled and sat down in the chair at the island as I tried to pick up on their conversation.

"Wow, that's incredible!" My mom beamed at my girlfriend. "I've always wanted to go to Japan."

"Wait, what?" I tilted my head to the side and stared at the two of them. May opened her mouth to respond, but my mom cut her off immediately.

"May was born in Japan." She smiled. I furrowed my eyebrows as my mouth dropped from its original resting position.

"What?" I asked, "how come I didn't know that?"