Chapter 12

Sorry it's a short chapter!!

Chapter 12

The wait was just as horrible as I had imagined it to be. The men made small talk with us, but our answers were only ever short. We didn’t want to give them too much information on our life.

“Do you mind if I run Mae back to my hut?”  I asked, my voice scratchy from lack of use.

“So you can take the chance to run away? I don’t think so!” the men laughed at clicked their tongues.

I cursed silently. Mila was going to absolutely kill me!

I could feel Tristan and Jayce were uncomfortable being around the strange men and that they wanted to leave, but they stuck with me. Whenever I tried to get them to go home, they would reply with: “We are in the photographs as well, Sara. We’re curious too!” as Jayce’s persists and Tristan’s as: “We couldn’t leave you and Mae here on your own! Imagine if something happened.” As Jayce realised what Tristan said, he look sheepish at not having mention the reason they were staying was to protect me, but I laughed. Tristan was the thoughtful twin while Jayce was the more rash one. He did things without thinking about the consequences all the time. But I didn’t mind that he was honest. It was one of the many things I love about him.

“Anya hasn’t changed much since I was here last,” the larger man stated, looking around my beautiful island and taking everything in.

“You’ve been here before?” I asked curiously. I had never seen this man here before and I was sure I would remember if I had.

“Mm,” the man replied with a dazed look coming over his face as if he was remembering something. “I lived here, actually. I left when I was a teenager because I hated the feeling of being trapped.” I could relate to that feeling well.

“What’s your name?” I asked.

“It was Duncan when I lived on Anya but I changed it to David as soon as I reached Australia. My original name reminded me too much of this island and my family and friends. I was so homesick you have no idea.”

“How did you get away?”

David shrugged lightly. “I snuck away in the dead of night, found some old bits of wood and swam out, letting the ocean carry me wherever it wanted to. I had complete trust in it. It was only a few days before I landed on Australia.”

A low rumbling overhead interrupted David’s reminiscing.

“Ah, that’ll be the aquaplane,” David said, his friend nodded to confirm.

As the aquaplane ducked under the clouds, I fell backwards, shocked and terrified at what it was. It looked much like a metal bird as I had previously thought it was. But it was so large; so much bigger than any bird I had ever seen.

The aquaplane dived down and landed on the surface of the water with a splash. David and his friend rushed to help get the others out.

I was frozen to the spot, watching this thing I had never imagined before but yearning for more information about it.

Please comment!! I always love to hear what you think :)