Chapter 9

This is a bit of a filler chapter, but it's important (ish) too! Enjoy :)

Chapter 9

I heard Mila snoring lightly and Vera’s blankets rustle when she rolled over. They were both asleep. I quietly snuck out of the hut and made my way to Forbidden Bay.

I wasn’t planning on visiting Tristan and Jayce, but maybe they could help me. I crept silently to their window and rapped on it with my fist once. They answered nearly immediately.

“Sara!” Jayce exclaimed quietly. He and Tristan climbed out of the window and hugged me. “So glad you’re alright!”

I smiled. Their large grins were infectious.

“Come on you doofuses,” I laughed. “I need your help. Do either of you know someone named Austic?” I looked at the both hopefully, wishing for them to nod their heads or their eyes light up in comprehension. But neither of those things happened.

“Austic? Who’s that?”

I sighed. “So either Austic died or he left the village.”

“Hold up, who is this guy?” Tristan asked.

“Mae’s father,” I replied, my heart heavy. “I wanted to find him for Mila because I know she misses him. He lived on Forbidden Bay around four years, Mila told me.”

Tristan looked pensive. “Hm… well we know everyone in the village really well.” My heart sank again. “Apart from one man. He seems to keep to himself. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him.”

My lips curled up in a smile. “Take me to him. Please!”

The boys grabbed a hand of mine each and led me to the furthest end of Forbidden Bay where we had never been before.

A lone hut sat in front of the forest. Tristan and Jayce looked just as mesmerised as I felt. After all out adventures, how could we not have seen this before? But then again, it was pretty hidden amidst the trees and low hanging leaves. The mud colours of it blended in with its environment.

I hesitantly walked up to the door and knocked. The door swung open and a tall, brood man stood in the doorway. His face was weathered but his brown eyes were wide and kind.

“Mila?” the man breathed. Yep, it was Austic for sure.

“I’m Mila’s sister, Sara,” I responded. 

“Where is Mila? Is she okay? Has something happened? Please tell me she’s alright!”

I laughed and held up my hands. “Mila’s fine. A little rattled since we got kicked out of the village yesterday, but physically she’s fine. She told me about you last night and I wanted to find you for her as a treat. Mila’s been so good to me my whole life and I’ve been nothing but selfish. I also think it would be good for you to meet Mae. I know Mila kept her from you, but she’s still only young. I think it’s only fair that you get a relationship with her.” I was babbling, but I had never been more intimidated by someone. Austic was the man who won Mila’s heart over and I didn’t want to make a bad impression seeing as he could become my brother-in-law one day.

“Who’s Mae?” Austic asked.

“Oh right, yeah I forgot you didn’t know. Mae is your daughter.”

Austic dropped log he had been holding.

“Where are they?”

I started walking back to Seraphine’s hut, gesturing for Austic to follow me. He did so hesitantly. I just hoped Mila wasn’t mad at me for doing this without her permission.