Chapter 9

I run through the corridors as fast as I can as Uriah distracted me at breakfast and I can't be late. It will be fine for him as Lauren won't care, but Eric will be in my training room and he will punish me or deduct points if I am not on time. I skid round the final corner and whip open the door, slamming through. Everyone turns to look at me including Eric and Tobias, really I should have gone for the quiet entrance as then they might not have noticed me come in.

I don't have my watch on, as we aren't allowed any accessories for the fights as that could give us an advantage, so I don't know if I am on time. My brother and Eric both checks their watches and by the smirk from the brother I know that I just made it.

"If you arrive this time again..." Eric warns.

"But aren't I on time?" I ask boldly.

"Just." he replies.

"So isn't it fine if I am just on time again as it's on time."

"I expect you to be here ten minutes early tomorrow to prove that you can time keep, otherwise you will be losing points." Eric snaps, obviously he doesn't like being spoken back to.

From the look that my brother is giving me I know it would be unwise to argue so I say, "I will be here then."

"Good," Eric says before turning back to the fight between Molly and Edward which Edward is clearly dominating.

I look around and see Al, Tris and Christina immediately so I walk over. As I get nearer I hear them talking, "Maybe you can take a few hits and pretend to go unconscious," suggests Al, "No one would blame you."

"Yeah," Tris says looking down. "Maybe."

"What's wrong?" I ask Tris as I join their group.

"Look at the chalkboard," Christina replies for her.

I look over and I see that I am against Drew and he's not that bad. Peter beat him badly yesterday so he will already be at a disadvantage from his injuries plus I think that I am just better than Peter. I'm not 100% sure, but I have spotted some of his weaknesses. I know that I'm not better than Edward though as he is so good, Will told us that he had starting training when he was ten. I only started two years ago, there's no comparison. However, if I keep training hard I may have a slim chance.

As Molly is fighting against Edward I know that Tris can't be against either of them, but looking at the fight before mine I see that Tris is against Peter. That isn't good as she is hardly trained and not ready for someone as tough as him. Looking at Tris I know that she has came to the same conclusion as me and I think of what I can say to help her.

"Just watch his feet," I advise, "He steps before he attacks."

"He does?" she asks nervously.

"Yeah, just do your best because although you might not win you will get some points if you get a few punches in."

"Thanks," she mutters before realising it's her turn.

Tris looks at us, but there is nothing we can do to help her so she slowly walks to the centre of the arena. Peter strolls over to her looking menacing and I am worried for Tris because I know that she can't win this one. After saying something to Tris that I don't catch Peter puts his arms up, ready to fight. I step closer to hear what he's saying.

"Come on Stiff," Peter says, "Just one tear. Maybe some begging."

I wouldn't hate Peter if he was just good at fighting, but he is just a bully, drawing it out, making it worse for Tris. He should just fight then win, that would be the good natured thing to do, but there is no good in Peter.