Chapter 4

I wake up to the slam of the front door signalling that Marcus has left and sigh in relief. Going to my closet, I look for what would look the least Abnegation and I end up with a dress which goes to my knees, which is short for Abnegation, and black boots that I borrowed from Marlene, which I said that I would return and this is my last chance for that.

After getting dressed I go downstairs and open the panel which has the mirror behind. Looking at my reflection I see my cut has gone down from last night, but it isn't the most appealing feature to have, but hopefully it will go once it's completely healed. I quickly put my hair up into a bun using only three pins so when I am with Dauntless I can quickly take it down, so I don't stand out as a grey speck in a black crowd. I notice that Marcus didn't leave me any breakfast so I make my own before leaving to the choosing ceremony. I make sure to grab a long jacket which goes down all the way to the floor so I don't look anything but a perfect Abnegation.

Getting onto a bus full of Abnegations, I recognise most of the people, but everyone just blends into one grey blur and eventually we have made it to the Hub. Slipping off the bus, I look around at the crowd of the city, wishing I could be in any faction, but mine and I know my wish will come true soon. I end up taking the stairs as the elevator is crowded so all the Abnegations are giving up their place in it to other factions. After twenty flights I am eventually at the top of the tallest building in the city and I walk into the choosing ceremony, saying thanks to Andrew Prior who is holding the door open. I get into line with the other sixteen year olds who are standing in a semi-circle around the room in alphabetical order. I end up between an Amity and Candor and don't recognise either so I just look around taking in the atmosphere. Marcus steps up onto the podium between the metal bowls holding the substances that represent each faction and I turn away to avoid catching his eye. He starts his speech which I blank out for as I have heard him practising it around the house for the last month. It's typical really that he will be the one up on the stage when I transfer. Our last moment together will be me betraying him, which he deserves after what he has put me through, but it would have been much easier if it was another factions turn to take the ceremony. Jack Kang or even Jeanine Matthews would be easier to deal with at this moment.

The crowd applauds and I know that Marcus is finished and it hits me how different my life is about to become so I embrace the peace inside me, knowing that I won't experience tranquillity again for a long time.

One by one sixteen year olds are called forward to choose where they want to stay for the rest of their lives, most go to the same faction, but a few transfer causing a stir from the audience. The most controversial transfer was Caleb transferring to Abnegation's enemy Erudite and then Beatrice transferring to Dauntless, it was like I guessed, but no one else seemed to predict it as the crowd was in shock. Eventually my name is called and I walk towards the bowls. Once I am up there Marcus hands me a knife and whispers, "Stay true to your family."

"I am," I retort before slitting my hand and putting it over the Dauntless coals.

The crowd roars behind me and I join the Dauntless. I am met with Uriah who has already chosen. "Dauntless buddies," he cheers.

"Yeah mate, and can I borrow your jumper?" I ask taking off the coat.

"Sure," he replies.

I put on his jumper and take out my hair so the curls are cascading down my back. I feel Dauntless and the anticipation hits me. I am going to see Tobias again.