05. Secrets

"Corey," I hear someone whisper, but the voice just bounced around inside my mind. I could tell that I was between consciousness and being fast asleep, but I couldn't quite tell myself to open my eyes and wake up. It felt strange to sleep again, since I had gone without it for so long, but right now it felt like I was sort of in a dream, making everything feel ever weirder.

"Corey," the voice whispers again, my eyes darting around behind my eyelids. The voice this time was a little more fiercer, but I still didn't mind it. No way did I want to wake up just yet.

Finally the voice practically yells this time, but it wasn't the same voice as before. My eyes shoot open when it screams in my ear, it sounding just like Allison's. I feared that maybe she was in trouble, so I had to open my eyes and wake up. But when I look around to figure out what was happening, all I saw was Sheriff Stilinski knelt beside the couch I had been sleeping on.

"Bad dream?" he says quietly, my heart starting to finally slow down.

I shake my head as I rub my eyes. "Sort of."

"Well, you need to get up," he says, sounding just like a father figure. "I enrolled you at school so you need to get ready."

My eyes widen. "What? School-"

"It's only to keep you out of trouble," he states, standing again. "I'm not sure how long you'll be staying here, so might as well get you back in school. It's better than having to graduate a year after your grade."

I understood what he was saying, but school? Really? All this time since I've been back, not once did I think about going back to school. I knew that I needed it, but this really wasn't the time. Hell, I just got back and now I'm dealing with an alpha pack, sacrifices, and then my own abilities. Maybe going back home wasn't such a bad idea after all.

But I couldn't leave Allison.

"Stiles has cross country practice in thirty minutes," he tells me, starting to walk away. "I figured you'd go with him instead of walking to school. I need to go to work but I'll be back home later tonight."

"Okay," I mumble, trying to wake myself up fully. I hear the front door shut before I'm on my feet, wanting to go talk to Stiles. He had told me last night how he figured out the people dying were sacrifices, but we didn't really get into depth about it.

Before I know it, I'm up the stairs and peeking my head into Stiles' room, seeing him standing there shoving things into a duffle bag, more than likely stuff for cross country practice. He turns and sees me then, zipping the bag before walking over to his dresser.

"Here's some jeans and a sweatshirt," he says while tossing the items over to me. I guess he didn't realize Allison had bought me my own clothes awhile back.

I catch them before sighing. "Well good morning to you too."

Stiles gives me a half tired smile. "What's good about it? Sacrifices...cross country practice-"

"You don't seem like much of a runner," I state, not really meaning to sound rude. I mean, he wasn't the greatest at lacrosse, and I thought it was kind of weird that he took up running.

He scans me up and down. "Look who's talking."

"Actually, I'm a great runner," I state, trying to make myself feel a little bit better.

Stiles turns back to his bag. "You better hope you are, because I told Coach that you joined the team."

My eyes bulge. "What?"

"You're on the cross country team now," Stiles says as if it's nothing. "So get on your running shoes, Corey."

"I hate you."