02. Busted

"How do you know her?"

I look up from my corner, seeing that Boyd was speaking to me. It's been a couple of hours since my encounter with Jade, and no one in the vault has said a single word since then. I assumed that's what Boyd was meaning, so I answered him.

"She was my best friend," I fade out, thinking back to all of the good times we had. "She was with me when I had died...in the car."

Boyd glances over at Cora, who was sitting against one of the the pillars in the center of the room. "I'm sorry."

"There's nothing to be sorry about," I say as my eyes go out of focus. "She made her choice and now she'll have to live with it."

Boyd shakes his head. "That doesn't make it right. I can't believe she'd do that to you."

"You and me both," I scoff.

Cora looks over towards me, finally saying something after hours of silence. "Friends and family come and go, you just have to get used to it. I'm a prime example."

Boyd and I turn our heads. "What happened to you?"

Cora sighs, no longer in her snappy mood. "Couple of years ago my family died in a fire. I had thought that they were all dead, but comes to find out two of them had made it out. That's why I'm here in the first place; I came to find them before someone came and knocked me out and put me in here."

"Hang on a minute," I say as Boyd looks suspicious as well. "Are you a Hale?"

Her eyes flick over to me, confusion behind them. "How do you know that?"

My mind boggles as I try to comprehend that Derek actually had a sister. "Derek uh--we've met."

"He bit and turned me," Boyd says, just as confused about this as I was. "I don't remember him ever mentioning a sister."

Cora holds her hand out. "Wait, he's an alpha?"

"Has been for awhile now," I fade out. "He's the one who killed your uncle Peter."

Cora furrows her eyebrows. "But Peter's still alive-"

"He came back from the dead somehow," Boyd confirms. "Your brother had killed him about a year ago when he was practically killing the whole town."

Cora shakes her head as a little laugh escapes her throat. "Of course Peter would do that. He's always been a psychopath..."

It's quiet for a moment, but suddenly there is a loud breaking sound, causing all of our heads to flick toward the back wall. We hold our breaths before it happens again, this time sounding louder and closer. I stand up then, curious yet excited about what was happening.

"What is that?" I ask as Boyd stands as well, but Cora stays put.

Boyd listens closely. "I don't know. Maybe it's the rescue party."

I don't get to laugh at his joke before I see concrete breaking from the wall, pieces falling and breaking into more. I stumble back slightly as I stare at the small hole, waiting to see who was saving us. A tan hand pokes through the wall before breaking apart more of the wall, creating a huge hole. I felt relieved for a moment when I saw Scott, hoping that Allison might be with him, but instead it was Derek.

This should be good.

"Thank God," I breathe as the two of them step into the room, both of them staring at me. I had forgotten that neither of them knew me.

"Who are you?" Scott asks as Derek walks over towards Boyd, who had suddenly grown silent.

I lick my lips slowly. "Uh, I'm Corey."