Chapter 36

Carmilla's POV

I notice Laura shaking slightly at Mattie's words. She's stressing out about everything again. I put a hand on her shoulder. "Let's just focus on getting through tonight, alright? We can brainstorm tomorrow."

"Hey." LaFontaine looks like something just occurred to them. "What about Jeep? He's not here, is he?" They give me an accusatory gaze. "Did you forget about him?"

"No. He's with Perry." I say.

"She's possessed by the Dean! Why would you leave him with her?"

"After I contacted Xena, I contacted him. He said he wants to stay there. We can Skype him, if you want."

LaFontaine nods, still worried. I go over to my laptop, booting it up. LaFontaine and Laura walk over. Once I type in my password, I get up and gesture for LaFontaine to sit. A grainy picture of JP appears on the screen. From the background, I can tell he's in the cellar Laura hid us in.

"Why, hello."

"Hey, Jeep. How are you doing?"

"I am alright. Miss Perry's taken control of the campus. I'm afraid that she hasn't been able to become Board Chair. She has been making certain I get enough blood to drink."

"Uh, Jeep? You know Perry's possessed by the Dean, right?"

"I'm quite aware of that. Miss Laura and Miss Carmilla brought the matter to my attention. Miss Perry is rather upset about your friends leaving. I'm happy to report that she has given me no indication that she would like to crush me like she did last semester."

"Good." LaFontaine breathes a sigh of relief. "Why do you want to stay there, anyway?"

"I am aware I could be of some assistance to you here. Miss Perry knows who I am but I seem to be safe here. She is not always here and watching me so I can sneak away and update you when I learn something of use. I also do have Miss Carmilla's email if I find myself in a situation where speaking could be dangerous. She has also forwarded me yours in case she is ever otherwise occupied."

"And you're okay staying there? I don't want you to do this just to get us information."

"I will be fine. Now I must go, I am hearing Miss Perry's footsteps. I will contact you soon to assure you of my safety."

The screen goes black and I shut down the laptop. "See? He's okay."

"Thanks, Carmilla." LaFontaine says as they stand. They rub their forehead. "After the weirdness of today, I just need to rest."

"That's probably best. You frail humans need your sleep."

"Yeah, just humans, sleeps-until-two." LaF teases.

"I'm a vampire. Go to bed."

"Great response," they yawn.

"You have to sleep next to the Puppy." I point to where Kirsch is sprawled out over a queen size bed, snoring. His mouth is open and he's snoring.

LaF just sighs and resigns themself to their fate. They crawl into the bed, half off it because they're trying not to touch Kirsch.

I roll my eyes and move Kirsch to one side of the bed so they have more room.

"Thanks," they mumble sleepily.

"Never mention it."