Chapter 1

Carmilla's POV (Point Of View)

"Hey, guys, someone's posted a video on the Silas Ethernet." The ginger scientist says from where they're sitting on a make-shift chair staring at their laptop. Somehow they managed to grab it during the chaos. As well as an entire laboratory's worth of equipment that they made me carry because I'm the super strong vampire. They squint, "And it looks like it's from the Dean's house."

I hope my mother really is dead but I know that's unrealistic. She's older than any creature I've met and to think my cupcake just pushed a boulder and killed her... I'm immensely proud of Laura for doing it, but now that I think about it, she's most likely stuck in that cavern like the Anglerfish. And after so many years by her side, I know she always has a trick up her sleeve.

My muscles tense at the thought of seeing that wretched woman again, even if it is on a screen. Laura picks up on my mood and places a hand on my arm. She smiles at me and I relax instantly at the sight. It baffles me, the effect this tiny human has on me. Without a word she calms me faster than anything and anyone else I have ever encountered.

They hit a button and the video starts. As it progresses, I am in silent shock and Ginger One is paler than I am. My hand has made its way to their shoulder. Not long in, they slam a button and the video disappears. They must've seen enough.

I think I saw some poor soul heading into the room in the last frame I saw. I hope she doesn't kill them too messily.

How did I not notice that Ginger Two was acting so strange? Now that I think back, it was almost laughably obvious she wasn't completely herself. I rub my face with my free hand, feeling LaFontaine shaking beneath my other hand.

"Perry's possessed by the Dean?" Laura blurts out. Ginger One looks up at her and I have never seen them look so utterly broken. Not even when they thought Perry was dead. This is worse. She instantly backtracks, stuttering out apologies.

"Cupcake," I murmur.

She flushes scarlet but thankfully is quiet. The ginger nerd just found out that their best friend is possessed by an insane homicidal vampire. Though her babble is adorable, they need to process this before anything else.

LaFontaine clenches their hands into fists. "I'm going to kill her."