Chapter 14

"Why are you so big?" Laura questions, her brown eyes blinking innocently.

"Because you're so tiny." I respond, amused.

"Hey! I'm not-" She pauses, confused. "Wait. How are we communicating?"

"I honestly have no idea, cupcake. But when vampires shift, we can communicate somehow."

"So sort of like telepathy," Laura muses.

"Perhaps."

"What animal did I turn into?" She spins around, trying to get a good look at herself.

"You're a little lioness cub."

Laura perks up at that and her tail swishes happily. "Why am I a cub and not big like you?"

"You're a new vampire. I was as tiny as you." I lay down and Laura pads over to me.

"Aww, I bet you were so cute. I wish I could see a picture. Were cameras invented yet?"

"The first picture was taken in 1814." I yawn, the stress of worrying about her constantly-more than usual-these past few days finally catching up with me. "Stop making me feel old."

"You're older than sliced bread. And the internet. And light bulbs. Whoa." Laura's eyes are wide. "How did you survive without the internet?"

"It wasn't invented yet, so I had no concept of what the internet is and can be. You don't know what you're missing until you have it."

That could apply to Laura and I's relationship, as well. Before I knew she existed, I didn't know how good life could be. When I had her, I was truly happy for the first time ever. In my life, I was a pale, sickly girl too frail for any man to claim. In my undeath, I was a slave to the obligation of helping Mother feed a hungry fish god stuck in a hole. Now that I've lost her, being without her is agonizing and being in the same room as her is a blissful torture that I could never regret.

Laura goes quiet, and I watch the little lioness watch me. With the nervous energy in the tiny ball of fur, paired with the energy she naturally has after shifting, it must be difficult for her to sit still. Sure enough, her paw reaches out and boops my nose. I blink at her and she's off like a shot, her laughter ringing in my head. She runs in circles around me, a little golden streak going past me every few seconds.

Laura starts scratching at trees when she gets bored of running around me, and I get up and lumber over. She turns around, her eyes sparkling and her tail swishing. I was going to show her how to properly shred a tree with her claws, but I think I've made myself her next target.

I lie down again and she quickly scrambles up my side and onto my back. She rests there, her tiny body shaking with the force of her purring. I shift my weight, making sure she won't fall off before I finally allow myself to purr as well. I fall asleep happier than I have in weeks.