Chapter 25

Getting a mattress and sheets? Easy. Getting it back to the cabin? ...I did not think this through.

Sure, I'm a vampire with super strength and speed, but even in my undeath the mattress is large and awkward. Laura's carrying the blankets and such to keep the frail humans from freezing to death.

I shift the mattress in my arms, trying to make holding it less awkward and fail. I huff, "I can't get into a store carrying this. Let's drop this stuff off at the cabin and come back for the rest."

"Sure, Carm. Are you sure you're okay carrying that? I can help." Laura offers.

I shake my head stubbornly. The rest of the walk back is silent, except for my cursing in various languages when I drop the giant mattress. Though I only did drop it twice during the entire trek, so ten points to Slytherin. I grimace and groan internally. I've been spending too much time with Laura (that's not possible); she's rubbing off on me. I can never tell her that I read the books and I probably should mention sometime that I met JK Rowling once, but then the journalist side of Laura will come out full force.

I drop the mattress on the floor in a space I usually keep empty because I like to curl up there. Hopefully Mattie won't mind sleeping on it. She's slept in worse places, but after a few years with Maman you get used to the luxury (and constant fear).

Laura drops the bedding on the mattress. "Why didn't you get an air mattress? It would have been easier to carry up here."

"Have you ever heard the noise the machine makes when it blows up an air mattress? It spooks vampires, especially newborns. It sounds sort of similar to some weapons technology or something. I'm not exactly sure why. But I'd prefer not to have you and Xena agitated and alarmed."

Laura smiles, "Thanks for thinking of Danny and I."

"Never mention it." I say, only slightly joking. Big Red would never let me live it down.

Laura laughs and I can feel my entire body relax at the sound. She grabs my hand, pulling me out the door and towards town.

Getting the blood is even easier than I expected. The head guy was ecstatic to see me again so soon and gave us each a plastic bag full of blood bags. They're not cheap plastic bags, either. They're at least sturdy enough to easily carry roughly ten pints of blood and its thick enough that no humans will have a heart attack if they look closely.

We head to the grocery store/gas station (it's a pretty small town) and Laura interlaces our fingers again. I can't help grinning shyly.

Something doesn't feel right, however. I look up from her and immediately see the cause of my unease. There's a man in an expensive business suit filling up his black SUV (it even has tinted windows).

"Laura." I murmur. She looks at me, immediately serious and concerned. "See that man over there? He's not from around here. No one comes here unless they're from Silas or have a death wish. We'll have to keep an eye out for him."

Laura squints, confusion making her nose crinkle cutely. Recognition makes her eyes go wide and she runs toward him, beaming. I sprint after her, careful not to go too fast. I don't want any more torches and pitchforks.

The man turns around, hearing our footsteps. His arms open wide and Laura hugs him tightly.

"Daddy!" Laura squeals happily as he picks her up and swings her around.