Chapter 34

Carmilla's POV

I wake up suddenly, my sleep interrupted by an odd sound I can only describe as a "meep". I crack one eye open to see LaFontaine clutching their heart.

"Sorry. I forgot how big your cat is." I just stare at them. "It's so cool and fluffy! Do you think I can take hair and blood samples?" I give them my if-you-come-near-me-or-Laura-with-a-needle-it-will-end-up-in-your-eye-socket glare. They're smart; they get the message. "Okay, no hair and blood samples." They pause and look around the room, their brow furrowing. "Where's Laura? Is she okay?" I move my body slightly, revealing the tiny lioness that's nestled into my side. "Aww, she's so cute and little."

Mattie bursts in at that moment, carrying Kirsch and dragging a pissed off looking Danny by a leash.

"Why do I let you drag me into these things, Kitty?" Mattie sighs, dropping the Puppy on the bed. He's still out somehow and snoring loudly. I feel Laura starting to stir. "I have been surrounded by dirt and insects and things I never want to think about and these numbskulls for hours. Only for my little monster would I go through that torture."

Danny's glaring at me (I have a sneaking suspicion she's trying to light me on fire). She stops, "Where's Laura?" Xena takes a step towards me. "What did you do with her, you leech?"

LaFontaine is wrapped up in Laura's adorableness and picks her up. That fully wakes her up and she mews in protest. I turn back and get ready to deal with Clifford. Laura's in good hands (quite literally).

"You do realize that if I'm a leech, you are too? And Laura?" Danny deflates, but still glares and looks concerned. I point to the lioness cub that the Ginger Nerd is cooing at. "There she is."

Laura's staring at LaFontaine, seemingly unimpressed at their affection.

"Laura?" Danny says quietly, staring at the lioness.

Laura turns her head, looking at her. She meows happily, her tiny paws moving like she's trying to walk over to her. She slumps when she remembers that she's still being held up by LaFontaine. They put her on the floor and I crouch down.

"Hey, cupcake. Focus on calming yourself, think of something that makes you happy. Try to turn back."

I stand up and take a few steps back, smiling proudly when I see vampire non-lioness Laura in front of me. She looks at her hands, her eyes lighting up.

"I did it!" Laura cries as she throws her arms around me. She pulls away from me, still beaming and hugs Danny. "Hey! I'm glad you're okay."

"What am I, chopped liver?" Ginger One grumbles. Laura parts from Danny (who's still on a leash. It's a pretty amusing sight) and hugs them.

Laura returns to my side, which makes LaF waggle their eyebrows suggestively and makes Danny frown. "Mattie, why is Danny attached to a leash?" Laura asks.

"She killed me. And frankly I don't trust her as far as the mad scientist can throw her. I'm keeping an eye on her." Mattie narrows her eyes at Laura. "Perhaps I should be keeping an eye on you. After all, you did tell her how to kill me and you killed Vordenberg. And now you're a vampire. I can't wait to see what chaos you cause next."