Twenty-Nine

"Y'know, I kinda owe you an apology." I stated as Oakley pulled up to my house.

"Why?" Her eyebrows furrowed together.

"Because I was so stubborn about going to this rodeo at all, but really it was some of the most fun I've had in a long time."

"Oh. Yeah, like I said, you needed to get out," she grinned.

"Thanks for taking me."

"Taking is not the word I would use. Dragging you by your hair is more like it. But you're welcome."

I gave her a quick hug before slinging my bag over my shoulder and heading up the steps to the house.

"You go, cowgirl!" She screamed out the window and jetted back onto the road.

I stood in front of the front door, unable to decide what to do. Normally I'd just barge straight in, slamming it behind me and shouting a hello to my family before thundering up the stairs to my bedroom.

I was still far from ready to deal with confrontation from my parents. From the sight of mom's Suburban and dad's Dodge in the garage, I knew they were both home.

Seeing Torrin's Honda Civic in it's customary spot next to my Nissan gave me a bit more confidence. At least there was one person on my side in this house.

Torrin glanced up from the giant sandwich he was eating as I cautiously stepped into the house.

"Hi."

"Hey," he replied around a huge mouthful.

I glanced around for my parents like a scared animal.

"They're in the living room," my brother informed me.

"Did they talk to you at all?"

"I've been avoiding them like the plague," he mumbled grimly. "But now that you're back there's probably gonna be some huge ass family meeting. Or should I say explosion."

Had there been a way to run up to my room without going by the living room I would've been long gone.

"Fanfuckingtastic," I growled, hurling my bag onto a chair and plopping down next to him.

"Yeah, this is all bullshit if you ask me. I feel like a goddamn prisoner in my house, y'know?" Torrin took a long drink of water before slamming his cup back on the table. "Where have you been anyhow? Your car's been home but you haven't."

I hesitated for a second but then decided to tell it to him straight. "I may have gotten a little drunk, so we went to Blake's house."

"Please tell me you didn't do anything stupid..."

"I didn't," I lied, trying to convince myself that I could've done something far dumber.

"Well, did you have fun?"

Questions about my personal life from Torrin were few and far between so I was careful to give answers that would actually mean something and not let the conversation completely die.

"Yeah, I did. Made a new friend and everything. I'm really glad Oakley drug me there...Thanks, by the way. For helping her plan it and stuff."

My brother shrugged. "No problem. It's way better to help your friend get you out than to see you all holed up and miserable in this joint," he paused. "Who's the new friend?"

"Blake Williams. She's a rodeo girl and a good buddy of Oakley's. A little rough around the edges but a whole lot of fun."

Torrin smiled. As in genuinely smiled. "I'm really glad to see you make a friend. I know it sucks with Charlie and the boys going their own ways and stuff. It's good for you to have other buddies, y'know?"

My happy expression mirrored his. "Agreed. Like you said, if it wasn't for Oakley I'd still be holed up in my room and feeling like shit."

"You're coming into your own, sis. It's good for ya."