Chapter 1

So this is chapter one, I hope you like it!! This whole story is in the process of being edited. 

Picture is Kiefer Sutherland, the actor for Juliet's father Mr. Smith.

Chapter One

            I pressed the snooze button for the last time because the fighting downstairs had finally ceased. I heard the last door slam and hobbled to the kitchen. Once I finally got to the table, I stretched my painful legs. First thing on my school year resolutions: find a better sleeping position for my legs. On the other hand, screw resolutions.

            I wonder what junior year will bring me.

            This was a great way to start it: everybody knew of the traumatizing incident over the summer, and the stares wouldn’t be able to stop. What happened in court last month would only be a glimpse of what I would get today. Oh, did I mention my legs were killing me? Besides the endless stares and I-told-you-so’s I don’t know how they will react. Guess there’s only one way to find out.

            Quickly I get ready for all the surprises I will encounter today. I choose an outfit of my navy Converse, boot cut jeans, and a red flannel. It might seem too hot to be wearing this, but I was not going to return to school looking like a slut after what happened. Sometimes I’m still afraid to wear anything shorter than jeans or sweatpants. I grab my bag, step into my Audi, poise my hands on the wheel, take a deep breath, and close my eyes. I’ll just drive there as fast as I can and try to get the day over with.

            After parking, I look around to see if anyone is staring yet. I see one freshman, but they’re staring at the car. I try to pull myself together so I can get through the day as I walk the familiar halls and look straight ahead to first period. Second and third period went by too fast, and then I was in fourth period. I knew it was going to be the worst class the whole day. I got there long after the late bell. The second I entered the whole class gasped. I predict it will be a long year. Mr. Glockenspiel, the only AP Chemistry teacher in the whole school, looked at me for a long moment. I was not in the mood for excessive staring. Everyone settles, and Mr. Instrument looks at me.

            “Won’t you sit down?”

            I fake smiled at him. “Yes, I will, in a minute,” I whispered. Then I looked at the crowd of people staring wide eyed at me. A few whisper about me.  I breathed, trying to recover from the tears welling up. “I mean, come on. It’s not like you haven’t watched the news before. And you’d be a fool if you kept staring and talking about me. I mean, what’s there to talk about? I made a big mistake, filed a lawsuit, and the judge ruled in my favor. Daren’s in jail. So that’s that.” That was a mouthful. “I promise you won’t hear another from me for the rest of the year.” I headed straight to a seat, happy there were an uneven number of people here so I could get my own lab table. As I walk forward, I realize how stupid it was to say all that.

            “Well, you are not like other girls,” Mr. Glockenspiel mumbled.

            I try to ignore him by rummaging through my bag. I listen to Mr. Name of an Instrument. He seems super shocked at my rebellion. Clara looks at me but I can’t read her expression. I anticipate for the bell to ring, because lunch is next period.

            I try not to think for the rest of the day, avoiding all the people who taunt me. I rush home and am happy when Tami greets me at the door. Too bad her expression is somber. I hug her, and she starts crying. Oh no. What did Dad did this time?