Chapter 43

Guys, I'm so sorry for neglecting this story. Its been 4 years since I started this novel and I grew out of it. But here I am with another chapter! Just need a bit of will power to write again! Hope you all like it!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 43

Washington was in the midst of a disaster.

Smoke plumed into the sky masking me as I emerge from the confines of my wings which teleported me. Down below, road blocks were everywhere as cars piled up on top of each other. In the distance, I could see all light sources slowly shutting down, street by street, building by building.

All except one.

The pillar-lights of the White House shone bright, casting a white glow around the building. The white shade of the walls further exuded the essence of purity. However, it was tainted by flashing red and blue lights, as authorities surround the iconic capitol building, that was the United State's power house.

With my heightened sight, I could see secret service agents running around, albeit in coordinated manner. They were shouting, commands to secure the perimeter of the building. It was obvious, papa bear was still in the house.

No one seem to notice me as I swooped down overhead, towards the front lawn. But instead of making it for the helipad, I took a steep right turn and plunge myself into the hedge which was weirdly not swarmed with agents.

As soon as my feet touched soft grass, I retracted my wings and crouched down out of sight. I was to do this without being seen.

I was to meet the President of the United States alone.

President Zachary's P.O.V.

Everything was falling apart.

3 years in the office and never in my life I never would've thought such a tragedy would struck the United States of America.

I remembered the day I got sworn into office. Everyone said there would be things far beyond the comprehension of a normal man that I would be faced with but never would I dare imagine those things would actually emerge and attack.

Today, without warning, they did.

"Mr. President, the military and C.I.A, are both inoperative. They've grown irresponsive over the last hour. Its advisable that we engage code phantom and begin immediate disavow protocol." Secretary, Linda Schwartz stated as she strides into my office.

Her face was pale white and in her hands was a tablet that was flashing incessantly. The National and International Connected grid was shutting down. Even the Navy satellites are inoperable.

She eyed the dozen of agents around me, staring at their monitors, trying to keep track of the wide spread chaos and back to me again. She knew the answer.

I looked at her and gave a solemn nod. "Do it."

An agent stood up abruptly, "Mr. President, Alice is here to see you."

Just as he said it, Alice, the head of white house public relations, came rushing through the door.

"Mr. President, we need to work on your address," she said, as she combed her auburn hair, absent mindedly, straightening her work blouse after.

"Does it have to be now? Is there even a jumbotron for the broadcast to be shown?"

"Yes Mr. President, most of the public still have their devices running off battery and the emergency broadcast works on a special transmission. We are a go if you are.," she uttered in one breath, looking steady and calm as ever. She was made for the job.

I laid back into my chair naturally, crossing my arms and tried to take in the whole weight of the situation. It might as well be the end of the world. Without electricity and the global web, we might as well throw rocks at our enemies. The supernatural world has reared its head once more and it did so in a big way. Humanity I fear... is at its edge.

How do you address a nation when you could possibly end up being the last president of the United States. How... would anyone contemplate that notion and have the will to move on. Sure, my name in the military as a commander fighting in Iraq is anything, a preparation but to sit here as the World's most powerful man of a falling nation. How would anyone come up with a script worthy of a last broadcast to his people?

A roaring siren outside snapped me out of my thoughts and I straightened myself. What happened has happened, and now, I can only carry out my duties to my people and country the best way I could.

"Send everyone out." I commanded the lead agent.

Gerald Rosner, a burly man, with blonde hair and a strong stature, stood up from his temporary guard station and looked at me with an expression of shock and I couldn't blame him. 20 years with the secret service, and never once has he 'left a president alone'.

"But Mr. President, I can't do that."

I understood but this is an important matter, one that must be done in private.

"I understand Agent Rosner but please...  I require a private moment alone."

Rosner was about to oppose but was cut short by Alice.

"Agent Rosner, the President is about to address the nation in what could be the end of civilization as we know it and we have no idea the magnitude of the blackout. So, if you please, unless you have some viable solution or a satisfying answer to the cause of all this, leave the president in his quarters alone. The White House is secured as you would confidently vouch."

The silence that followed was eerie. The woman knows how to be stern when she needs to.

With a doubtful look, all the men clad in black uniforms, exited the room one by one, mumbling into their earpieces of their departure. It was a slight surprise, considering how easy the relented.

With the last of the agents out, the white oak doors slammed shut and I could hear hidden surveillance equipment around the room being turned on with their beeping. But as the agents will soon realize, they will be redundant.

Alice looked to her tablet and began typing in commands on the touchscreen. Within minutes, I could hear the devices deactivating themselves.

After she was done with the final coding, she looked at me with a sly smile. "Finally got them off your back, after 3 years."

I smiled back. She was very good.

Settling into the seat before me, she cleared her throat and put down her tablet.

"Are you ready, Mr. President?" she asked.

I nodded.

Out of the shadows of the oval office, by the corner near the wall of the operations room, emerged a figure in his 20s, pale white, with dark blonde hair. He could've been mistaken for any teenager in the alleyway smoking up on pot.

But he was different... and I knew very well, he has the capability of snapping my neck before I could blink. He was not human.

Dustin Cooper stood before me and bowed slightly. "Good evening, Mr. President."

He flashed me a fanged smile.