“There’s this creepy, hidden vampire library Jesse knows about that we’re going to visit,” Chance said, a smirk in his voice. “It’s full of so many secrets that it’s forbidden for most vampires to enter and probably heavily guarded, but we’re going to try anyway.”

“Chance!” Jesse scolded.

Cassie’s breathing increased again slightly. “You’re kidding right?”

Jesse growled quietly and Chance sighed. “Okay, I’m exaggerating a little,” he admitted. “But we really are forbidden to enter and it’s not going to be that easy to get in. Finding it alone is going to be a pain.”

“Where is it even at?” Cassie asked.

“Colorado,” Jesse answered.

I sighed. “Well, at least it’s not way up in Washington or something.”

“Or in Minnesoooota,” Chance said in an exaggerated accent.

“We need a car,” Jesse said, ignoring Chance. “Then it’ll only be about a day’s drive.”

Cassie seemed to be calming down. It probably helped having a task to focus on. “I know a place where we could borrow one,” she said.

“Is it close?” Jesse asked. Cassie must of nodded because then Jesse continued with, “Alright, then we can walk.” I could hear a rustling noise as he messed with something. “We should send the horses off in the other direction. The others will follow them long enough for us to get out of here.”

I stood back against a tree as they set the horses loose, staying out of the way. As soon as they were free, we took off, following Cassie’s directions. I knew we were in a hurry and it made me feel even worse about slowing them down every time I stumbled on a fallen branch or a rock.

“We’re almost there,” Cassie urged and I noticed the ground becoming more even and less littered with obstacles. We must be getting close to someone’s property. “This is a friend of mine’s house,” she said. “She’s on a vacation right now though, so I’m sure she won’t mind if we borrow her car.”

We waited outside while Cassie used a spare key under the mat to slip inside and grab the car keys. It didn’t take her long before she was back outside, leading us to the car. Jesse insisted on driving and Cassie called shotgun, something Chance and I weren’t going to argue with her about since she was still holding an actual shotgun.

As soon as we were all inside and buckled up, Jesse pealed out of the driveway and onto the road, following Cassie’s directions to get out of the town. Needing to get our own things, he parked the car just outside of the old vampire town and left us girls behind while he and Chance went back to the hotel room.

It was quiet for awhile and I was starting to wonder if Cassie had fallen asleep when she sighed heavily and moved in her seat, probably turning to look at me.

“How can you be so calm and relaxed when something this crazy is happening?” she asked. “We have a group of insane vampires following us, I may or may not be a weird special vampire and now we have to go to a secret vampire library that we’ll be in big trouble if we’re caught in to find out. How are you not freaking out?”

I smiled and shrugged. “You start to get used to it about the third time that you’re almost killed by supposedly mythical creatures.”

“Good to know,” she said a little sarcastically.

I sighed and tried again. “By now I’ve realized that this is my life; getting chased by vampires and going on crazy adventures with half baked plans. I’m used to it, oddly enough, and I’ve accepted that this is pretty close to my normal.”

She was quiet but seemed to be a little more relaxed as she sat back in her seat. I was considering saying something else when my phone started to vibrate in my pocket. I quickly pulled it out and held it up toward Callie.

“Who does it say is calling?” I asked quickly.

“Jack.”

Oh crap, I forgot to call him and check in, though with everything that’s been going on you can’t really blame me. Before it could send him to voicemail, I pushed the answer button and held the phone to my ear.

“I’m sorry!” I said quickly. “I meant to call you, it’s just that we . . . found this amazing lead and were following it and I was so excited about being so close to figuring this out that I forgot to let you know I’m alright.”

He sighed on the other end, sounding frustrated but relieved that I was alright. “Liz, you had me worried that some crazy vampires ate you or something. I was this close to jumping in my truck and driving down there to get you.”

I laughed nervously. That was the last thing I needed right now. “Well it’s a good thing you didn’t because now we’re on our way to Colorado.”

“What!? Why are you going to Colorado?”

“Just following that lead,” I told him, not wanting to say too much.

The car trunk popped open and I could hear the boys talking as they shoved our bags in. “Well I’m okay and you shouldn’t worry,” I said quickly, “but I need to go now. Love you, bye!” I quickly hung up before he could protest and shoved the phone back in my pocket.

“Who’s that?” Cassie asked, sounding amused.

“My brother,” I responded with a small smile. “He worries a lot and makes me call him every night to check in.”

“That was an interesting version of the truth you told him.”

I shrugged. “It’s better to leave a few things out, that way he won’t worry so much and the less he knows the less danger he’s in.”

The doors opened as the boys climbed in and a few seconds later the car was moving again, heading for yet another state.

“Who else feels like we’re taking a cross country road trip?” Chance asked.

I smiled. It did feel a little like that with all the states we’d been visiting lately, though the ever looming presence of killer vampires kind of killed the cross country charm.

“OOO! Can we stop to see the Grand Canyon?” Chance asked, a grin in his voice. “Or the biggest ball of twine in Minnesooota?”

“What is it with you and Minnesota?” Cassie asked, sounding amused again.

“It’s just fun to say. So can we?”

“No,” Jesse said flatly, though I had a feeling he was trying hard not to smile.

Chance sighed very dramatically and adjusted in his seat. “Are we there yet?”

“No,” Jesse answered.

“Are we there yet?”

“No,” he said again in a slightly harder voice.

There were a few seconds of silence followed by, “Are we there yet?”

“Chance,” Jesse growled.

“Yes?” Chance asked happily.

“If you ask me again I’m going to throw you out of this car.”

The car was silent for a few more seconds then Callie adjusted in her seat, a grin in her voice as she asked. “Are we there yet?”

Jesse sighed. “This is going to be a long drive.”

A/N :

I'm sorry, I know I just keep getting worse and worse about posting, but with school starting my schedule has been crazy. I'm going to try to figure out a new writing schedule though so i'm posting regularly again. Just a heads up, I may only have time to post on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays though.