Chapter 6

Chance

The more I looked around at this vamp town, the more I liked it. Talk about entertaining. It looked like we just walked into an old western film. Well, except for all the people walking around in modern clothes and using technology. But hey, there were a few people here and there dressed in old things and let's just say the girls didn't look too bad.

As I on cue, a couple girls walked past in some old dresses with tight corsets and I couldn't help but watch as they walked by.

"I really, really love this place," I said with a grin.

Jesse reached behind Lizzy and smacked my shoulder. I growled, and pointedly rubbed it, even though it wasn't really sore.

"So what does it look like?" Lizzy asked, ignoring us.

"Like we're stuck in a western with a modern twist," I responded.

Jesse glanced around then looked back to her. "The buildings are wooden and old looking, most of the roads seem to be dirt, and there's even a horse over there. But there's also electricity, smart phones, and cars."

Lizzy grinned. "Cool."

A couple guys walked by, their fangs stretched down, and took a long look at Lizzy as they pasted. I narrowed my eyes then wrapped my arm around her shoulders.

"And it's full of vampires."

She fidgeted uncomfortably. "They're all staring at me, aren't they?"

Jesse and I looked around and sure enough, everyone close enough to catch her scent was staring, most of them with their fangs grown down.

"Uh, not really," Jesse said, rubbing the back of his head.

"Nah," I added. "They don't even notice us."

I took her hand and pulled her down the street, Jesse standing on the other side. "Really?" she asked, not too sure.

"Of course," I answered, sounding more convincing than I thought I would. "No one's looking." Everyone was looking.

She smiled and relaxed, nodding. I was suddenly glad that Lizzy couldn't see, because if she could see all these vamps everywhere, some of them not acting anywhere near human, she'd be freaked out so bad she'd probably never want to see Jesse or me again.

"So do you have any idea where we're going?" Jesse asked.

"Any clues at all?" I added.

She started to shake her head then froze as a horse nearby whinnied loudly. Her eyes widened slightly before getting the faraway look they always got when she had a vision. We stood close to her and waited for her to come back to reality, stealing a few glances at the people around us to make sure no one was noticing too much. After a couple seconds, she blinked a few times and looked a little lost like she usually did when she was coming back around.

"You alright?" I asked, turning and glancing to the side.

"Yeah," she said slowly, still a little out of it.

Just before I was about to look back, something caught my eye. One of the buildings to my right, a two story one, had several not so conservatively dressed girls standing on the porch and walking past the windows. Of course a vampire town would have a place like that, and if this was a few months earlier I'd be a lot more excited.

"A man, there's a man," she said, obviously describing her vision. "He's a little tall and sort of skinny, but built. He has brown hair and some weird tattoo on the side of his neck."