Chapter 10

Chance

I looked up to see a somewhat tall girl with long brown hair, brown eyes, and a small stud in her nose. Good news, we found the girl, bad news, she found us. Her grip tightened on the shotgun she was holding.

"Don't ya'll know trespassing is illegal? This is private property and out here we don't like strangers sneaking around, stealing things."

Jesse grinned as he slowly stood up. "I think you misunderstand," he said, smiling to the girl. "We weren't going to steal anything."

"Uh huh, right," she replied, obviously not believing him.

"Seriously," he said as Lizzy and I stood up. "We were just passing through and got tired so we thought we'd come up here and see if we could get something to drink before we continued on our way. We weren't going to steal anything or cause any problems though, promise."

Her grip loosened on the gun but she still looked suspicious. "Then why were you hiding back here all suspicious like?"

Now it was my turn to think up a lie. "We were arguing." Always good to start a lie with a little truth. "I didn't think anyone was home so I was saying we should just keep going, but Jesse here was arguing that we should stay."

"Twin brothers," Lizzy said with a smile. "They argue about everything."

The girl smiled to Lizzy and let out a small laugh. "Yeah, I know a couple of girls that're the same way." She lowered the gun to her side and motioned us toward the house. "Why don't ya'll come on in and get some dinner, you've got to be hungry."

"Sure," Jesse said as we followed her around to the front.

She stopped by the front door, slowly pulling it open. "I'm Callie by the way." We told her our names and she gave us a small smile. "Nice to meet you." She set the shotgun by the door and started walking down a long hallway, calling back. "Sorry about holding ya'll at gunpoint, but I'm home alone at the moment and strangers wondering around makes me a little jumpy."

I smirked as we followed her; if only she knew how close she lived to a vampire town she'd know she had a right to be jumpy.

"It's alright," Jesse replied, "We understand."

"So," Lizzy started as I led her down the hall. "How old are you?"

"17, nearly 18," she said as she turned into one of the rooms.

Sounded like a normal response. "How long have you lived here?" I asked as Jesse and I glanced into each of the rooms that branched off this hallway.

"All my life," she called back. Another normal, though vague, answer. "Is beef stew alright?"

"Yes," all three of us called back.

Jesse waited for a second, then asked. "Anything weird ever happen around this place?"

Callie was quiet for a few seconds then called back from the kitchen, "Not really. It's a pretty quiet town." Jesse and I exchanged glances. The tone of her voice suggested she was hiding something. Even Lizzy seemed to notice. Did Callie know something about the vampires?

"Good to know," Lizzy called back, sounding genuine.

Jesse snapped his fingers to get my attention then pointed to a picture on the wall. A younger version of Callie was standing in front of an older man and woman, presumably her parents. But, the man and woman had fair skin, unlike Callie's dark complexion, and both had lighter hair, the woman's even curly. In short, the adults looked nothing like Callie.