~ Chapter 3 ~

Baekhyun jerked away from the cotton ball filled with rubbing alcohol that was gently pressed against his blemished skin. He closed his eyes and quietly let out a shaky breath as soon as the doctor pulled out a needle for a long awaited blood test.

Looking at needles made Baekhyun queasy. He hated them. Just the thought of a needle piercing through your skin and shoved into your vein to gather blood, or just to inject a different liquid into your body makes Baekhyun shiver. What's worse is that with the slightest of movements, you can feel it move.

The only reason that Baekhyun was even there was because he was following Minseok's request. He knew that if he didn't get a check-up, Minseok would be pestering him about it until he does.

"May I ask why you're so beat up?" The doctor kindly asked, cleaning the spot that the needle would have to be injected. "It's not healthy for you youngsters to always get into fights."

The silence was deafening to Baekhyun as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat. He didn't want to answer. He knew that the polite thing to do was respond yet he just couldn't do it. The doctor pushed the needle through his skin on the inside of his elbow, making Baekhyun slightly wince.

"I.. I slipped and fell down the stairs at school," Baekhyun quietly replied.

As honest as Baekhyun usually was, he didn't feel comfortable enough to be talking about his school life with a stranger, even if the stranger was a doctor.

The doctor, who had previously introduced himself as Dr. Lee Doek-Hwa, gave Baekhyun a quick glance before returning his gaze to the blood that was being taken. After the check-up was completed, Baekhyun left with a broken left arm, a crap load of bruises and cuts, and the advice to "be more careful next time", not like it was his fault.

Exiting the hospital, he cursed under his breath when he accidentally tripped over his own feet, hoping no one noticed his embarrassment.

...

Attending school the next day was hell. Minseok wasn't going to start attending until after another week, leaving him completely alone like always. No one asked about the broken arm Baekhyun had. The day passed by with the usual stares and whispers surrounding him with little to no bullying, which was extremely unusual.

At the end of the day, Baekhyun was physically tired and he felt like once he got home he would just flop down and sleep. Not paying attention where he was going, Baekhyun ran into another student getting knocked down, dropping his books. He heard people snicker on the sidelines but ignored them.

It was the end of the day and Baekhyun simply didn't care anymore.

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry! Are you okay?" The student who had knocked him down asked while kneeling down to help Baekhyun up. "I should've been paying attention. I'm so sorry!"

Baekhyun looked up. He had never been treated so kindly before. He ignored the hand that was offered and clumsily stood up after collecting his scattered items.

"I-I'm fine. I'm sorry for running into you," Baekhyun bowed.

The other student stared at how formal Baekhyun was being. "I'm Zhang Yixing." He paused while he let the new information sink in.

"Zhang Yixing..?" Baekhyun said to himself. "Oh, Z-zhang Yixing, hello I-I'd like to thank you for before. You're really kind but, um, next time y-you shouldn't help me."

Yixing tiled his head and looked at Baekhyun confused. "Why?"

Baekhyun looked around and noticed the few students who had stayed behind at school, giving him dirty looks. Not wanting to burden Yixing so early in his transfer, he quickly bowed and walked out of the school not answering Yixing's last question. Yixing, not knowing why Baekhyun had left, stood there with a dull expression for a few minutes wondering if he had done something wrong.

"You shouldn't converse with him, you know," a different student stated, walking up to Yixing and slinging his arm over Yixing's shoulder. "You'll just get yourself into trouble."

Yixing looked at the arm the other had around him.

"He's targeted by Chanyeol," the student chuckled continuing his explanation. "Chanyeol is the one person in this school you wouldn't want to mess with. He's important."

Yixing thought for a while before moving away not wanting the student's arm on his shoulders any longer. "I don't think it would matter much of who I talk to."

The other student looked at Yixing like he was crazy. "Dude, you're going to get yourself killed with that kind of attitude."

Yixing stared at the other student then jogged in the direction Baekhyun had disappeared in. A small black figure was seen whom Yixing assumed was Baekhyun and started running towards the slowly disappearing figure.

"Yah, Baekhyun!"

Baekhyun turned around, his eyes widening, and started walking faster once he saw Yixing. Why is he following me? Baekhyun thought. I told him to not talk to me. I don't want to make someone else suffer.

Yixing noticed Baekhyun walking faster and sped up to catch him which he did in a matter of minutes thanks to his strong legs from dancing.

"Yah, Baekhyun-ah, once you see people coming you shouldn't go off running. People could get the wrong message, you know," Yixing teased.

Baekhyun shifted nervously, paranoid that someone would spot them together. "S-sorry, but you shouldn't talk to me. I-I have to go now. A-again, thanks for before."

Despite Baekhyun's advice, Yixing didn't listen. He followed Baekhyun until he had to head toward his apartment. He even chatted up a storm with Baekhyun listening, but rarely saying anything.

The next few days Yixing didn't leave Baekhyun alone. He stayed next to Baekhyun as much as he could. They would sit together at lunch and walk home together until Yixing had to turn a different way. Baekhyun honestly enjoyed the other's company as he didn't really have anyone to socialize with at school, but he was starting to worry over Yixing. He was afraid that Yixing would become an outcast like himself. He didn't want that to happen to someone as nice and caring as Yixing.

The next day Minseok would be attending school for a while and Baekhyun had a plan. He would spend as much time with Minseok that he could, spending the minimal amount of time with Yixing. As mean as it sounds, he thought that it was the only way that Yixing wouldn't be burdened by him. If Yixing started to hate Baekhyun, Baekhyun was okay with it. As long as Yixing didn't get bullied or was put as an outcast by the student body.

~~~

I'm sorry this took so long to publish! (^_^;) I had writers block and was busy with school and such. I meant to publish this part earlier but I forgot. ;-; 

Thank you guys for the story votes! I'm also surprised by how many people have read my story. xD