Hasty Travel Plans

"Mom?"

I slowly enter the house I shared with my mom practically my whole life, until I went away to college. I get no response and am immediately taken over by the feeling that something is wrong. It clings to my skin and I can't shake it. Maybe it's the fact that the house is a little colder than I remember it being. Or maybe it has to do with all the lights being off. Whatever it is, it's eerie and I can't get the thought out of my head that something really bad is about to happen.

"Elizabeth, welcome," a man's voice says from somewhere on my right. I turn my head and see a middle aged man, dressed in a nice suit standing in the doorway of my kitchen. My heart rate immediately accelerates. Who the fuck is this random man and why on earth is he in my house? Where's my mom?

"Who are you?" I ask a little shakily. My eyes dart around looking for something I can use as a weapon in case this man attacks me. I can't help wondering if the reason my mom isn't here is because he did something to her, which only adds to the growing panic inside me.

"It does not matter who I am, it only matters what I have to say," he replies and my ears are immediately drawn to the proper way he speaks. It's like he read the whole dictionary in an attempt to learn language and doesn't know what conversational English is. Or like he's from a hundred years ago. Maybe he's a vampire or something. Hey, if it can happen to Bella Swan, it can happen to me too. Although I usually don't get into abusive relationships with supernatural beings that have the ability to kill me.

"Um...okay, what is it that you have to say?" I ask cautiously. Maybe it's the way he talks or something to do with the way he dresses, but every alarm bell in my mind is going off like crazy and I want to get as far away from him as possible.

"I came here to talk about your mother," he says simply. My mind goes into overdrive. There is a very strange man in my house, my mother is missing and he knows something about it. Everything about this situation is wrong.

"What about my mother? Is she okay?" I try to keep the panic out of my voice so he won't try to use my fear as a weapon against me.

"Your mother is....not okay," he says slowly, giving me a calculating look. Oh god, I feel the nausea rising up my throat and I have have to swallow it back down before I can speak again.

"What happened?" I ask weakly, hoping it's nothing too serious. Well, obviously it's serious if this man needs to be here to tell me, but I'm hoping it's not the worst case scenario.

"Your mother is dead Elizabeth," he states with no emotion in his voice. I just stare at him for a second, not fully comprehending what he just said. My mother is dead? What? How? No, this can't be happening. Mommy is dead.

"No," I gasp, tears pouring down my face, "no, you're lying," I practically shout in his face.

"I wish I was, but I am not," he says, with no sympathy whatsoever and in this very moment, I want to kill him. Who just tells someone their mother has died without feeling any kind of sympathy? What kind of heartless monster are you to just stare blankly as someone's world falls apart?

I clutch my side as the sobs begin to painfully burst from my throat. All those times that I didn't call her back. All the holidays she spent alone because I was too ashamed to come home and face her disappointment when she found out her daughter was a loser with no ambitions. All the nights that I wanted to hug her or kiss her goodnight but instead, continued to pretend I hated her. All of it, every single moment and opportunity to be with her that I let slip away all suddenly comes crashing down on me. I can't breath. Oh god, I can't breath. Choking on my own tears and snot, I don't even try to fight the feeling of strangulation that descends on my throat. I just fall to the floor, broken and and shaking as the realization hits me that I've lost the one thing in life that I love. Taking a deep breath, I let out a blood curdling scream.