Chapter 21

We came to an instant halt as about a dozen guards cross our path. Sure, no there are more. I turn sour. Where were they before when the assassins attacked?

"Kill them." They charge at us. Leaving us not time to try to explain.

"No, wait." I yell at them, trying to get at least one of the guards attention.

"Jade?" Ewan exclaims confused. He doesn't know what he did. He has been pracitically unconscious the whole time. It's like he feel asleep in his normal bed and then woke up on a raft in the middle of the ocean with kill whales circling him.

"Run." I yell at him and we start running back the direction where we came from. Pulling Ewan with me to get him going.

"What's going on?"

"Ewan, if you don't get away they will kill you, please just-" I am cut off by the sounds of lasers being shot and the lights barely missing our forms.

They're shooting at us. They are entirely ready to kill us.

"They're shooting at us." I have never heard Ewan pick and yet here we are.

"What did we do?" No Ewan it's not us, but you. But I didn't tell him that. WE keep running and I am still grasping Ewan's hand, scared that if I might let he'll get caught. I am not going to let him go. I have to protect him. My thoughts only circled the obvious for me. I have to keep him alive. I cant loose him too.

Our escape didn't last long as we ran into a room we expected to be empty. Instead we found it filled with broken Automations and still standing guards, and behind them where the leaders. Kane wasn't with them, but Yakov was. Ewan runs into me when I suddenly stop. Ewan catches me before I fall.

"Freeze." We did. Though our position was a bit awkward. Ewan had his arm wrapped my waist holding me up and his other arm around my shoulders. Through our little collision he had spun he around to catch his balance as well, so now I was facing the door where be barged in. Ewan's big body mass was blocking me from the Leaders view.

"Step away from each other and walk to the wall with your hands above you head."

Ewan hesitantly removed himself from me and I had clear view of the others in the room. The guards, whose guns where raised at us, blocked my view from the leaders, and most importantly Yakov.

We obey their orders and creped to the wall and place our hands above our heads against the wall. I keep my head ducked to my chest.

I hear them whispering behind behind the guards who still have their guns raised at out backs. They are probably deciding if they should kill us or nor. That isn't something I am hoping for at the moments That would be an unpleasant ending for us. I desperately hope that they will give us a chance to explain but that seems highly unlikely. I hear too many 'just kill them' in their heated discussion, but Yakov isn't one of them. In fact, I haven't heard his voice through the whole thing.

Finally the come to a conclusion and my body reacts before my mind does. Ewan follows suit. Our training kicks in and we unconsciously strive for survival and we attack.

"Kill them." The recognizable gruff voice yells at the guards. To kill us. They didn't even give me, us, a chance to explain. For all they know I didn't do anything, but they suspect that I might be in on it and that's all they need. Ready to slaughter us without trial. Trials are for righteous humans. We aren't humans to them, dogs is what we are. Slaves. Replaceable. Kane was right. He didn't need to prove it. They did it for him.

In no time at all we dodged the lasers and knocked out all of the guards. Not killing one of them to prove our point of being innocent. But I know it won't change anything. It was almost like we where being controlled. But not by Kane, but by our instincts to fight our enemies. We circle the six leaders, and I couldn't help but laugh sourly.