Chapter 9:

I following Lord Oskana though the big and sleek hallways of the Clear Court. The big building of the Clear Court was massive and very modern. The Building was mainly made of glass and the new metallic material, which stretches, giving it a light but very stable form. The building next to the big lake stood hundreds of feet above it, connected to the big mountain, looking out over many other hills mountains. Docks at the foot of the building, creating a boat parking lot, and the plane parking lot on the roof.

We pass many other people, all wearing formal or businesslike attire, much like Yakov. I took a more practical attire, something easy and flexible. I am almost relieved when I see some other Praisers wear similar attire.

I am surprised with how calm I am taking this, and I thank my training for that. Many people greet Yakov politely or at least now at him respectfully. I on the other hand wasn't even acknowledged, even to the extent where they wouldn't even move out of my way as I followed Yakov. Making me sidestep abruptly every few minutes. At first I let it go and accept it but after about half way through I almost turn to yell at them. Though I do trip some and quickly flee before they see who had done it. I remain following Yakov though now smugly.

We enter the big Council room, which had a big round table and seven chairs. One for each leader, every chair had the symbol of each continent. No one was sitting yet, Yakov was the last to arrive. I was surprised when I didn't see any Automations in the big room, in fact I didn't see any one else other than the leaders and three Praisers standing along the walls.

"Oskana. Glad you could make it." I recognize the deep and gravelly voice of King Ravenwood, leader of the Head Lands. The greying man was in his late sixties, he was shorter than Yakov and it was safe to say that he was overweight.

"I apologize that I am late, I did not receive the meeting call until later." Yakov stalks to the table in grace and sophistication. "Shall we." He indicates with his hand for them to sit. They follow his lead and sit, I stumble only little as I scurry to the wall behind Yakovs seat just as the other Praisers where doing.

I don't pay much attention through their meeting, instead I take the time to connect the names to the faces. Lord Oskana and King Ravenwood are clear. Queen Idris Gradern of north America, the Plain Lands. A very tall and thin woman, almost sickly, her features are sharp accompanied my her long nose and orange eyes. Then there is Queen Valeska Marlow, Leader of the Sol Lands, Africa. She is very young, around the age of 17, but very wise. I am captivated by her purple eyes which seem to hold many secrets. Her red bouncy hair ended just above her shoulders, her face roundish. They where the only female leadersI didn't pay much attention to the male leaders, I didn't know why but after watching Queen Valeska I couldn't keep my eyes off of her. There was something with caught my attention but I couldn't figure out what it was.

Her sweet melodic voice dragged my attention to their conversation, "These attacks are not coincidental. The attacks are planned and are after someone or something." Her voice saw serious and firm.

"How are you so sure of this Queen Valeska?" I search for the owner of the voice, it held arrogance and it almost sounded like a tease. "You are very young, and I do not mean to accuse you of being naïve, but I believe you are in this situation." Lord Jonathan Kane was the owner of the voice, leader of the Red Lands, Australia. His black eyes pierced into hers almost threatening and I spotted that his words had meaning, and by the expression on her face she clearly understood it. I was astonished by the blindness of the other leaders that they did not notice their little exchange of venomous stares.

"I believe the age of one does not give them their maturity, I am sure you of all would know this." I am impressed by her stance, she did not falter and her posture commanded respect.

Yakov cuts off their little argument before it gets out of control. "We are getting off topic. We do not know if these attacks have a meaning or not. But they are happening and we need to do something about it. And so their meeting continues. This time I pay more attention to Jonathan Kane, he looked in his early 30s, his dark green dyed hair made him look younger, but the dark stubble on his chin made him look older at the same time. His black soulless eyes kept glancing over at Queen Valeska, who on the other hand avoided his eyes. Suddenly his eyes meet mine and he stares at me in astonishment, his mouth slightly open. I return his stare in confusion. He quickly brakes eye contact and so do I, I remain with my head lowered to the floor for the rest of the meeting. My mind racing of thoughts of Queen Valeska and Lord Kane. But not once dis Lord Oskana occupy my thoughts through the whole thing.

The meeting ended long after, they discussed the attacks and other political matters. I remained still as a statue just as the other three Praisers stood. Our faces emotionless and our minds clear and ready for any possible threat. That is what I was supposed to do, It was hard to keep my mind clear. The leaders either left with their Praiser or stood and talked quietly among each other in small groups. Lord Kane was one who left, and just as Queen Valeska and King Ravenwood, he did not have a Praiser. Yakov beckons me to come to him, I do, and just as we where about to leave we when we where approached by Queen Valeska. I step back from Lord Oskana quickly in respect for the two superiors.

"Yakov. I wish to apologize for mine and Kanes behavior."

"No need, Valeska. All is well."

"Yes it may have been minor but never the less the court room is not the place to do such thing."

"I do not care much what you and Kane have going on between you, but as long as it does not interfere with the court then I have nothing to complain about."

She doesn't answer his question nor does she seem to acknowledge what he had just said. Instead her striking purple eyes meet my jade coloured ones.

"I see that you have a Praiser now." She smiles at me while I avert my gaze.

"Yes. This is Jade." Yakov introduces me to the young Queen. I remain rigid as she approaches me along with Yakov. "It is a pleasure meeting you Jade, Yakov has had his eye on you for years now." Yakovs face flushed slightly at her statement. Years. I am aware that Yakov had indeed had his eye on me for a long time but I never fanthomed it to be years. It's not normal that one would wait so long, considering their shorter life expectancy.

"Pleasure Queen Marlow." I dip my head but still remain standing stiff. I am shocked out of my stance as I hear the childlike laughter of the Queen. "Please, call me Valeska. I really do believe there is no need to be so formal. But whichever makes you comfortable."

I eye Lord Oskana nervously, not sure how to handle this woman. So far of all the people I have come across, not one has even spared me a glance or if they did it was filled with arrogance and disgust. Exactly what I was trained to deal with, but not this woman. She almost looked at me like we where equals. Lord Oskana also treats me better than I expected but she had something in her eyes which told me she understood me.

Valeska sees my awkwardness and turns back to Lord Oskana, "I must be going Yakov. Safe trip." She gives both of us one last smile, though strangely now forced, and leaves us to ourselves.

Lord Oskana watches me for a few moments before he beckons me to follow him as well. We walk side by side in silence though the first half of the long hallway until he speaks.

"I am aware that you learned all about the leaders of the Clear Court am I correct?"

"Yes."

"What do you know about Queen Valeska?"

"Queen Valeska Marlow, Leader of the Sol Lands, Africa. Has been the leader for five years. Adopted by former King and Queen Marlow, now dead. Birthparents are unknown. Age unknown." She did look the age of 18 but that cannot be logical if she has been there for five years.

"Apparently she is in her early twenties. Lucky girl if she still remains looking so young through the years. Though yet still unlucky, always looking like a child."

"Why are you so curious?"

"I am not asking because I am curious in her, but more in how much you know about her. Yet I am still curious about her. She's very secretive."