Chapter 13:

"How, how did you do that?"

"Do what?" I reply in a flat voice while I turn the engine off of the plane.

I lean back and sigh in exhaustion as I pull out the tie to my tight bun and my head instantly feels relieved.

"Get us out of there. Or survive. Or catch that knife I threw at you." I have never seen him ever loose his calm and this wasn't a sight I wanted to see again. In some way it wasn't attractive.

"I was trained for your protection."

"I know that, but what you just did back there is humanly not possible."

"How so?"

"Yes. How could you see in the dark so well or be so fast that in a blink the assassin was dead on the floor."

I blink in astonishment. It was ordinary speed, wasn't it? I hadn't realized that I was so much faster than the average human. All of us Praisers are considerably faster.

I remember my training and my instruction specifically said never to tell them what we are exactly. For all they know we are ordinary humans with a lifelong training. If they knew exactly what we are they wouldn't call us ordinary slaves or bodyguards. We have so many abilities which the human hasn't. which kind of boggles my mind for a second, then why are we serving them is we are better? my eyes widen in horror at my rebellious mind. Never ever should I think of that.

"I was trained for your protection." That is what I am authorized to reply with.

"Yes I know but that doesn't explain how you could do that."

I don't reply, otherwise I would reply with the same answer I had given him already.

He runs his shaking hand through his brown hair and rubs his temples.

"You need rest Lord Oskana."

I take his arm and guide him out of the wrecked plane.

I lead him to his private quarters and leave him at the door, as I turn to leave his next words stop me.

"Thank you."

"What?" I was never prepared for gratitude of any master I might have received in my training. We were never meant to be thanked, we are machines to them.

"I said thank you."

I know the right thing to say back is 'your welcome'. But I just couldn't seem to comprehend anything, and before I knew it the next sentence left my mouth before I could stop it.

"It is what I was trained for. My life is yours."

I turn away and stalk down the hall to my room quickly. I didn't want to say that but I can only blame my training, for it left my mouth before I even knew I said it. I am indeed a programmed machine.

I use the bathroom mirror to help me get the glass shards out of my side and arms. The clothes I had been wearing lay completely shredded on the floor and blotches of my blood could be seen on the dark green fabric.

It's hard to get the shards out without a pair of tweezers or medical equipment. I stare at my hard expression as I pull the last shard from my hip. I try not to portray the pain in my face. I should never let anyone see my pain or fear. It will give the enemy the advantage. Even though I am alone with no enemies around I know I should never let my guard down. I sigh as I drop my hands against the counter and let my shoulders relax. My right side of my body hurts more than I care to admit. The stinging makes it hard to move, and I dread the moment I have to step into the shower and am almost temped to just let it be. But the sight of the fresh blood flowing over the dried crusty blood makes me rethink and I trod to the shower.