8. Alright

I knew as soon as my alarm went off at 6 a.m that waking up and getting ready would be the easiest part of this day. And most likely the most normal part of it. I tore off my covers, already having some energy. I couldn't sleep last night... At all. Maybe a couple hours, but nothing compared to what I need. I flipped my legs over the side of the bed and felt goose bumps cover my legs and arms as the cold air nipped at every part of my body. I let out a deep sigh, and lifted myself, walking over to my beeping alarm to turn it off. 

"You up Charlie?" I hear my mom's voice come through the door along with a soft knock.

"Yeah," I answered. I then heard her soft footsteps walking away, downstairs and into the kitchen. I knew she was going to make me breakfast like she has every morning, but today, I had no intention to eat anything. Shivering, I walk to my closet, pick out clothes, get dressed, and do my hair, and then I race downstairs. 

"Breakfast is on the table, Charlie." my mom says. I nod, but decline politely.

"My stomach is kind of upset this morning," I lie. She gives me a look of concern before walking over to me and laying the back of her hand against my forehead. She hums.

"No fever," She says, taking her hand off of my forehead, "You sure you're up for school with a stomach ache?" she asks. Her brown eyes stare into my green ones and her eyebrows furrow. 

"Oh, uh, yeah. I'm fine. It's probably nothing." I say, walking over to retrieve my book bag. I sling it over my shoulders and pull the hood of my coat over my head.

"Alright sweetie, be careful. I love you, have a good day." she says. I nod once again.

"Love you too." I say. I then grab the cool, silver handle of my front door and push it open. I was met by a very chilly wind. The sun was just now rising, decorating the sky in a red and orange aura of light. I sigh, pulling the door shut behind me, and then I start walking down the wooden steps of my home and onto the sidewalk to walk to school. 

Shoving my hands in my pockets, I walk faster than I usually do. I had to admit, I was afraid of the 'shadows'. But I was also afraid of actually being afraid because the shadows could hurt me and take me much more easier if I was afraid. It made me vulnerable... More than I already am. I look up at the sky. The sun was rising even more. That's good. The more light, the safer and better off I'll be. I let out a breath of relief.

"You can't be afraid," I say to myself, looking down at my scuffed boots.

"Indeed you can't." I hear someone say behind me. Startled, I let out a mini yip and a scream, scurrying away from the sudden presence. I hear the person gasp behind me and let out a little laugh that they were obviously trying to hold back.

"I am so sorry, Charlie." the person says through their hands covering their mouth. I turn around and am met by a pair of sparkling eyes, and I immediately know it's Luke.

"You gave me a heart attack!" I say, clutching my chest. He laughs. 

"Sorry Charlie. I didn't mean to.." He starts to explain, but I cut him off.

"No, no. It's ok, Luke. You just startled me is all. No big deal." I say with a smile. I see his sparkling blue eyes grow. Just then I realize something.

"Hey Luke?" I ask. He looks at me with slight worry as if I was hurt. 

"Y-your eyes. Won't everyone see them sparkling?" I question. If people see them literally sparkling and gleaming, even in a dark room and artificial light, they'll have many, many questions. It's not normal for a human to have those sparkling eyes. Only... Angels. My heart grows warm.

"Oh, I almost forgot." He says. He takes his book bag off (for he was pretending to be a student at the school), and he unzips the front pocket, and pulls out a little container. He opens it.

"Sunglasses?" I laugh. I see him grin at me. 

He slides them on with ease and his sparkling eyes are covered by the dark lenses. All signs of sparkling blue eyes cease. He puts the empty container back in his bag and he slings it back over his shoulder. Just then is when I pay attention to his whole body. He was dressed in all black except for his shirt.. But it was covered by a black leather jacket. His shoes were black converse, skinny jeans were black and his shirt was striped, and his hat he was wearing was black.

"The black.." He says, stealing my attention away from his body, knowing why I was staring, " It's to cover the, uh.. The aura." He says. Realization hits me when I noticed his usual aura of light was no longer surrounding his tall body. 

"Trying to blend in, I guess." He says, shrugging his shoulders. He then begins walking forward and I quickly follow.

"Listen Charlie. You can't let anyone know that I'm an angel. If they find out, I'm in big trouble. " He says. I nod, fully understanding.

"Luke?" I ask. He turns his head towards me.

"What happens if, uh. If a shadow ever gets me." I say. He stares at me a moment and then turns forward, looking at the ground.

"I won't let that happen." He says. 

"But what if the-" I begin to say but he quickly steps in front of me, making me stop in my tracks. My mouth falls open slightly and my eyes widen. He gently sets his hands on my shoulders and looks at me. I knew he was looking straight into my eyes when he says it.

"I will not," He breathes, "Let that happen to you, Charlie. I'm here to keep you safe. And that.." He says, sliding his hands down to wrap around my upper arms gently, " I will do." He says, finishing his sentence. I smile lightly and an overwhelming feeling of trust and love rushes through my body. I shiver at his touch which sends chills down my spine. 

I nod. I believe him one hundred percent.

"Alright Charlie?" He says, smiling at me comfortingly.

"Alright," I whisper.

*****

Ok! Thank you so much for reading! I've been very busy lately, and I'm sorry for the kind of late update. Please tell me what you thought of this chapter! Thank you!