5. Walking With the Shadows

"I've gotta get home, guys." I say to my book club. I hear a series of groans and pouts, putting a small smile on my face. The sun was setting, and although my dear book club friends are precious to me, so is getting home before dark, considering I don't have a car yet. 

"Bye Charlie!" Sam, my best friend says. I smile at her.

"See you! You still up for this weekend?" I say, reminding her of our night out on the pier. She smiles with great enthusiasm.

"You bet." She replies. I smile and begin packing up my things in my book bag. Before slinging it over my sore shoulder, I call out a cheery goodbye to everyone one last time before I exit the doors of my high school and out into the beginning of the weekend.

Met by the chill of the season, I tug my jacket tighter around my body, and hang onto both of the straps of my back pack, and I begin the trip home. 

Ever since I was a little girl, I hated the dark. I had the biggest prejudice of it which led to an undying, mysterious, alarming fear of it. I'm always cautious of the lack of light, but am especially cautious in the winter when the sun sets sooner in the day and rises later in the morning. That's why I have to leave earlier in the late fall and winter. It was currently six - thirty in the afternoon and the sun sets around six - forty five. 

A nervous sensation engulfs my body as I look up at the sky and see a painting of orange, pink, and red. Although the sky looked light and filled with color, my surroundings were darkening by the second. The trees seemed to have shadows surrounding their entire structure, the sidewalk was an eerie gray, the little shops and cafes drowned in silence as the shop owners turned out the glowing lights and flipped the open sign to the 'closed' sign, and my heart began beating faster as I quickened the pace of my walk.

And alas, by six forty five, the world seemed to be an old movie - all painted in a scene of black and white. The only colors alive and blinking were the stop lights that boringly turned from green, to yellow, to red, and to green once more. I focused on the calmly changing colors as I passed an ally way that was dark and unsettling.

But suddenly, I heard those footsteps again. The ones that are soft, but scuffed the ground gently as they put one foot after another. W- was it Luke? I sped up my walk once more, and I swore my knuckles were turning as white as snow from tightly gripping my back pack straps. While I did this, I slowly turned my head backwards and saw him.

"Who are you, and why are you following me." I say sternly, seeing the blonde haired boy who claimed to be an 'angel'. I stopped in my tracks with building braveness and ironically, shaking hands due to subtle fear knotting in the pit of my stomach. He also stopped and looked at me with those abnormally sparkling blue eyes that I saw the other day. I've never seen this boy at my school, let alone anywhere, for that matter, and now he suddenly appears, follows me, strangely disappears, and claims to be an angel. My angel. I said I was interested in the whole idea of a guardian angel, not a random boy saying he is one.

"I'm protecting you." He says. His voice sounds like the calmest of flowing water. His voice wasn't harmful or raspy. It was like .. paradise. 

"From what," I scoffed, he can't be serious. "The dark?" I completed.