4. Something in the Woods

Three days later, I woke up in my bed startled, with droplets of sweat dotting my forehead. I reach my right hand up, swiping it through my unruly hair, letting out a breath I didn't know I was holding in. I glanced at my clock, realizing it was a nap I woke up from for it was 8 o' clock, and I stared at the door of my room, thinking of going out to get some fresh air, but all I could do was listen to my racing heartbeat and replay that image of him in my mind. Was he real? Or was I just... going crazy?

"It was just a dream.." I tell myself, "Just a dream.."

I rip my covers off, walking over to my desk and I grabbed my dream journal. I decided to have a dream journal long ago when I was about 13 years old. I thought it was cool, for my older sister had one until she 'grew up' and decided it was 'childish'. I, however, thought it was amazing. It was a way to engulf yourself in a magical world, and explore it's capability of any and every situation possible, realistic or not. With that thought settled in my mind, I began to retrace my dream from the beginning, and write it down onto the thinly lined paper in words.

There he was again. I've been dreaming about him every since I saw him. I could have swore I saw him. He appears in my dreams just like when I first lied my eyes on the boy - his hair was blonde, his eyes were sparkling like the sun on the bluest ocean, and his white shirt and black jeans decorated his body oh- so nicely. The first two dreams I've had about him consisted of him talking to me, but I couldn't hear him. I only saw his mouth moving, and nothing else. He would stand there frozen.. But my dream tonight had my heart racing.

We were running, him way ahead of me. I could feel myself screaming for him to help me, and I remember shouting, "They'll get me." and the next thing I knew, Luke was gone. I looked around for him, then I looked behind me and that's when I saw them. The wings. His wings were the whitest white ever, and they were almost too blinding to even glance at. But that's when I noticed these.. These abnormally shaped shadows surrounding him, and it was like I could feel my heart beating increasingly faster. It was all so real. The next thing that happened was when I heard him shouting in a frantic voice, "Run, Charlie! Go!" And I didn't want to leave him behind, but my legs unwillingly took tiny steps backwards before I turned around and began to run.

That is where my dream ended.

I took speedy breaths as the thoughts of the dream and it's realistic feel overtook my mind. It was as if I could touch him. I remember feeling the same energy in my dream as I did when I.. When I saw him the other day. The image of his frantic, fear ridden face, and dark blue eyes gave me chills to even think about. 

I decided to go outside on the patio to get fresh air. This couldn't be real. How could a boy I've never met, aside from yesterday, become a person with a constant role in my life whether it be dreams, or daydreams? How could.. How could he be my guardian angel? Chills scattered across my body at the thought. 

I sat on the patio swing in silence, listening to the crickets chirp and the wind weave through the high trees. As I was admiring the night, I suddenly hear a rustle in the bushes that were located in the woods a little bit. Confused, I stand to my feet and listen for the sound again. I was conscious of the gradually growing wind, but that wasn't the cause of the alarming noise.

Once again, I heard the leaves rustle with a great sound. Goose bumps trickled up and down my arms as I slowly descended the couple steps that lead down to the short, freshly mowed grass. 

"Is anyone there?" I asked. I was only met by the wind blowing a little harder. The moon was out, a full moon to be exact, and few clouds littered the sky, and millions of stars shined from above. The infinite scene almost made me forgot about my alarm. 

But then, moments later another loud rustle of leaves and snaps of twigs came from the nearby trees. I gasped quietly , jumping back a little bit.

"Who's there?" I say a little louder this time. When I was met with no answer, I slowly stepped forward to observe. Hugging myself to keep in the warmth, I slowly crept towards where the sound was coming from. 

As I approached the spot, closer, closer, and closer, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. No one was there. Not even an animal. Slumping my shoulders in relief, I let my arms fall to my sides, and I let out a little laugh. I'm too paranoid. I shook my head, getting ready to turn around when I heard footsteps running towards me. I instantly told myself to run, and that's exactly what I did.

I let out a scream, running as fast as my legs would carry me, but it did no good. I felt two hands wrap around my waist and hoist me up into the air. I kicked and screamed, hoping my parents would wake up. 

"Hey, hey.. You didn't think I'd hurt you, did you?" I hear a familiar voice say. Suddenly, the hands loosened their grip on my waist, and my feet planted back onto the ground. I stumbled away, far enough that I could get a good look at the person who was there.

"Thomas, what the hell?!" I say, greeted by those calming brown eyes, and that quirky little smile of his. My heart beat in my chest was faster than no other, and my hand flew to my chest in horror. Just then I heard him begin to laugh. I rolled my eyes, growing a smile of my own. I calmed at this angelic sound, and my hand fell from my chest.

"Yo- you should've seen your face!" Thomas laughed. I giggled. His laughter was absolutely contagious. 

"Why did you scare me like that?! I thought it could have been a murderer!" I shouted teasingly. Amusement spread across his face like a wild fire. 

"I just wanted to surprise you, Charlie." He laughed. My heart melted.

"And surprise you did, Mr. Thomas." I replied. He laughed at me and gave me a shining smile.

"Come on in, it's a bit chilly outside," I said, shivering from the bitter breeze that had picked up once again. I began to walk towards my house, and I smiled as I heard his little laugh and quiet footsteps trail behind me.

*****

Ok, so this was a little bit of a filler chapter, but I hope it gave you some chills! Thank you for reading, and please let me know what you think!