Polaris

A/N: A newly edited beginning chapter of Blizzard, I hope you enjoy this first chapter! 

Out of all of the days of the week, Tuesday was my least favorite. The atmosphere changes and the guards seem to be more agitated than ever. Tuesday is the day of the week where I think to myself, how can this be any more fucked up? I've been stuck behind these plain white walls since, the age of nine. I find it torturous to be isolated from the world. The only view I got of the outside was a small square window, that overlooked the grassy fields.

"Two-Zero-Four"

I turned away from the window and towards one of the guards that stood outside of my room. The heavy metal door to my room is wide open and the guard had his partner with him. The guards were dressed in all black with a heavy chest and knee protection. Their hands were occupied by a machine gun. I pushed myself away from the window and walked towards the guards. The one thing that pissed me off about this place was the guards. They always stood obnoxiously with their guns constantly in their hands and snarky comments. There is one guard that makes my blood boil and causes my little slip-ups. Jonah Crustove, the bastard has always gotten under my skin. Jonah was an ex-sniper in the U.S. military, and now he works as Chief in this damned facility.

"You smell like shit," The skinny guard to my left laughed as he nudged me forward.

I narrowed my eyes and with the flick of my wrist, ice began to cover the white tile floors, causing the guard to slip face-first to the ground. I chuckled darkly as the other guard avoided the small section of ice.

"This is why you don't antagonize the experiments, man," the guard sighed as he leads me to the lab. The lab is where my adoptive parents do their research and experiments. I'm their main project, Project Tundra. My "parents" are trying to make the human race more adaptable to the colder months. They had this idea that people wouldn't freeze to death when the time comes and the world is like the Ice Age once again.

Everything went wrong when the machines were malfunctioning and the serums weren't combining properly in my body. It was like I can still feel it, the burning and freezing. It was like salt and ice on an open wound inside of my veins. I could remember not being able to hear my screams and the static of the electricity of the machines zapping, electrocuting my body. I became cursed with the power to freeze everything that I touch. Ever since that day, many other scientists rushed to the lab to try and cure and make me normal again. Every test had failed and it frustrated my parents, and I felt like I was nothing but in a pit of anger and sorrow.

"Two-Zero-Four, please step into the glass box," My mother said, monotonously as she wrote something down in her black notebook.

I followed her orders and stepped inside the box, and I was ready for whatever tests they had prepared for me. A loud blaring noise went off, and five men, dressed in black, appeared in the box with me. The men had black ski masks on. Three of the men held machine guns, and the rest were empty-handed. I narrowed my eyes and prepared myself for what was bound to happen. The two empty-handed men ran towards me, but I easily dodged their swings and kicks. I grabbed one of the men by his forearm, and it began to turn white. He screamed in agony as he dropped to the floor in pain.

The second man attempted to swing at me until I shot an icy wind towards him. The man flew against the glass and collapsed into a heap on the floor. The three men that stood with their guns raised began to pull on their triggers. I held out my hands and concentrated on my power. A shield of pale blue ice appeared in front of me, protecting me from the bullets. With the shield in front of me, I ran towards the men and knocked them against the glass walls with my shield. My shield vanished into millions of ice pieces. I stood there staring at the unconscious bodies lying on the floor. My breathing was heavy and I could feel the sticky sweat at the back of my neck and on my forehead. I fist-pumped into the air and I screamed in excitement as I felt the adrenaline in my body increase when I looked at the timing. I took these men down in ten seconds, that was a new record.

"Two-Zero-Four, You've shown an increase in power." My mother said through the loudspeakers.

"I know!" I grinned.

A group of men dressed in suits walked into the lab and I got closer to the glass that separated us. The glass in front of me began to freeze and crack, I backed away from it. Shit. A man with graying hair was talking to my father while staring at me with a sinister smirk. I didn't like the way he was looking at me. I could tell by his posture and his suit that he worked for the government. Something about him wasn't right and I've felt it.

"Two-Zero-Four! Stand down!"

My mother firmly demands and I hadn't realized that my temper was rising. Soon enough the glass around me shattered into a million pieces around me. The suited men took out their handguns and aimed them at me. I looked around and noticed that even Jonah stood with his gun raised. "Don't shoot! He just got a little upset!" My mother shouted towards the men.

The man in the crips navy green suit with gray hair glared at my parents. "Clara, this boy is as dangerous as a nuclear bomb! I've seen his old tapes! He can destroy us all!" My mother bit her bottom lip and shook her head furiously as she stood in front of me with arms wide open.

"No! It's our fault he's like this! We are still working on an antidote! Sylvester if you could give us another chance." My father spoke nervously, his hand held out. Sylvester gruffed, "I've given you people many chances, along with millions for this lab, and all you've brought me was the ned of the world in a teenage boy's body!"

Sylvester gave a hand signal to his men. I shoved my mother out of the way and held my hands out, shooting ice bullets towards the men. At the sound of my mother crying out, I saw her holding her arm as her hand began to turn purple. The emergency alarm went off and I quickly ran out through the sliding doors before they locked. I ran with bare feet through the hallways, dodging the men who were shooting at me.

I punched one of the guards that stood by the emergency exit and he toppled onto the ground. "Two-Zero-Four! Don't do anything stupid, kid!" Jonah shouted as he continued to run down the hall, towards me. The exit doors were locked and I had no choice but to blast it open with my power. I stared outside in amazement, this was my first time outside of the building. I heard several guards outside, yelling at each other as they searched for me. I stepped one foot after the other onto the rocky ground.

I sprinted away from the building and towards the trees in the woods. The sound of the emergency alarm fading in the distance."He's over by the woods!" Jonah yelled and suddenly a group of guards ran towards me while they began shooting their guns. I ran further into the woods but I knew that they would eventually find me here. I glanced up at the trees and instantly knew I had to get off the ground. Concentrating hard, I began to climb the tree carefully, trying not to freeze it. After a few minutes of climbing and staying calm, I've managed to get myself on top of the tree branch about eight feet off the ground. I stared at the guards as they just ran past the tree, yelling orders at each other. I softly chuckled as I watch Jonah become frustrated, kicking at random trees with his heavy, black booted foot. Now I would just have to wait until they leave and then I'll make my second escape. I needed to be far away from this research facility and the government.