Chapter 19: Strawberry Milk

Start from the beginning

When David pulled back Devin’s light grey suit turned almost black from the water. He looked up from his wet suit and glared at my Boss. “That wasn’t necessary,” he hissed at David.

“Oh, it was necessary,” David replied, and patted Devin on the shoulder. I stared at them in confusion, seeing a hidden conversation between the two.

My Boss turned around to me, and locked his brown eyes on mine. “Let’s go,” he growled, and glared at Devin one last time.

Devin narrowed his eyes and returned his blue gaze to me. At first I didn’t know to do so I smiled. He smiled back understanding my confusion, “He’s just mad at me for something I did, as usual. He will come around after a few hours,” he explained, and started to walk towards the elevator. A few hours? I turned to watch him leave, and he looked over his shoulder, “I’ll see you around, Faith.”

“O-ok,” I stuttered, and got lost in his blue eyes. He stepped into the elevator and the doors closed after him.

I stared at the doors until I heard someone clear their throat. “It’s not like you’re fifteen minutes late to work, and your Boss is standing right behind you as you gawk at their business partner.”

I snapped out of my trance, and turned to David. He’s biting his lip, and has his drenched arms crossed over his wide chest. A look at reads: ‘I’m-so-mad-right-now-but-I-won’t-freak-out.” “I—I’m so sorry! I couldn’t find a tax—“

“—no excuses.” He snapped, and turned to push open the glass doors.

I followed his long strides into the office, passing an empty receptionist desk. His feet are making squishy noises as he walks. “Where’s Carol?” I asked quietly, afraid he would yell at me.

“She doesn’t work on Fridays,” he said dryly, and pushed the door open. He didn’t bother holding the door open and let it slam onto my arm.

 He shook his now dark brown hair, making it splash everywhere, and pressed something on his desk. “I need to get changed, so you can look away if you want.” He walked to the other side of the office, to a set of drawers that weren’t there before and took out a dress shirt and slacks.

My eye brows rose. “You have a closet in here?” I blurted.

David took of his shoes, and then his socks. “It drops down from the ceiling. I just some extra outfits it it encase this happens.” He threw his wet socks at the window angrily.

“How did you get soaked?”

He started to un-button his shirt and looked over his shoulder at me, and gave me a weird look. “I had to run here,” he said as if it is obvious.

“Sorry, I’m just trying to make this not awkward.” I turned away as he took off his shirt, and stared at his black desk.

He didn’t respond, and grunted. “Don’t look,” he mumbled. The floor shook a little as if he jumped into his pants.

I forced myself not to look, encase he is doing something inappropriate. But I am curious. “Why?”

“Stop asking questioned!” he exclaimed, making me jump. I heard the noise of a zipper, and then him pulling the dress shirt together. He took a deep breath, “Ok now you can look.”

I turned around, to see him leaning his head against the closet. His dark red shirt is un-tucked, and he is buttoning it up quickly. “Are you ok?” I questioned, and tucked my hair behind my ear.

He ignored me, and pulled out a blue and red stripped tie out of one of the top drawers. I wouldn’t have been able to reach it, but he easily can.  He popped his collar, wrapped the tie around his neck, and turned to the side. Water dripped off the hair in his eyes, and he tried to shake it off. “I hate rain,” he mumbled bitterly, and attempted to do make the knot in the tie. His hair moved into his eyes again, and he growled. David tilted his head up at the ceiling and quickly finished the tie, as if it is as easy as breathing.