Chapter 4

Entry #4; Powerful
Let's just say my mom wasn't too impressed with my discovering of my powers.
Enjoy,
- Debbie xoxo

"Mom!" Debbie exclaimed as she came charging into the living room where her mother sat, working on her laptop.
"Don't run in the house Deb," Cathy scolded her eleven year-old.
"Sorry mom," Debbie muttered under her breath as she stared down at the floor sheepishly.
"It's fine, now why were you screaming and running in the first place?" her mom asked. Debbie immediately perked up at her mother's question and began to jump up and down excitedly.

"Watch!" she exclaimed before grabbing the nearest object she could get her hands on—which happened to be a rock paperweight sitting on the coffee table. Her mother watched in horror as Debbie proceeded to hit herself in the head with it.

"Debbie!" Cathy shrieked as she rushed over to her daughter, trying to asses the damage of the rock, but to her surprise, she found none. "Debbie?" Cathy looked uncertainly at her daughter in confusion.

"I'm fine mom!" Debbie giggled as she took in her mom's horrified and confused expression. "It doesn't hurt at all, and there's no bump or anything," she added. Cathy's face drained of colour as she paled, realization dawning on her.
"Oh no," she whispered, figuring out exactly what had just transpired.

"Mom, you're scaring me. I'm fine, what's wrong?" Debbie had now started to sense that her mother's behaviour was caused by more than her paperweight experiment.

Cathy meanwhile, had no idea how to explain to her daughter that not only was she an heir to a superhero, but that she was in fact an heir to two super heroes and that her dad wasn't her dad.
"Come sit here with me honey," Cathy said, trying to smile assuringly at her daughter.

Debbie listened and sat down next to her mother in the couch, staring at Catchy expectantly.
"Are you going to tell me why you're freaking out?" Debbie asked, eyeing her mom in a scrutinizing fashion.
"Debbie, I'm not sure how to tell you this but I'll come right out and say it, okay?" Cathy looked at Debbie and hoped that she couldn't see the terror Cathy felt in her eyes.
"Uh, okay." Debbie was now feeling very wary of whatever her mother had to say.

"Ryan isn't your dad, but he doesn't and can't know that. Got it?" Debbie was rendered speechless by her mother confession, and she had no idea what to say or how to proceed. However, she sensed that her mother had more to say, so she didn't think she was required to reply at that point. "Your real dad is Captain Man, and you're inheriting his powers."

"What!" Debbie exclaimed, finding her voice as her eyes widened in absolute shock. Her mother looked pained, but tried to offer her a warm smile.
"I know, it sounds crazy. There's still more though sweetie," Cathy said. Debbie's eyes widened even further if that was at all possible.
"What else could there possibly be!" Debbie was feeling frustrated that her mother had kept this from her for so long.

"Because his powers were manmade and not born with, you wouldn't inherit his powers normally—"
"Normally? Nothing about this is normal!" Debbie interrupted her mother, but quickly became silent when her mother shot her a withering glare.

"My family is descended from a long line of superheroes, so that means you have those genetics too. It's entirely possible you'll get some powers from that side of the family too," Cathy finished, looking at her daughter expectantly. She knew she would have to be patient with her daughter coming to terms with everything that she just been told.

"What?" Debbie spluttered, shock very clear on her face. "That's not possible! What about Sarah? Her mom is your sister and Sarah doesn't have any!" Debbie looked triumphant, feeling as though she had found enough proof to show that her mother was lying to her. Cathy sighed and looked at her daughter sadly.

"Sarah is a special case. It appears as though the gene skipped her. I almost thought the same happened to you until now," Cathy explained.
"You've got to be kidding me! It's not even April first mom!" Debbie huffed angrily, feeling frustrated at her mother's behaviour.

"Debbie I don't know what to tell you. You saw yourself that you're indestructible now. What more can I do to convince you?"
"Proof, let me see your powers. Show me that you're a superhero," Debbie answered firmly, glaring at her mom challengingly. Cathy winced, knowing that her powers were a bit of a sore spot.

Debbie noticed that wince and narrowed her eyes at her mother.
"So you are lying. You can't prove it," Debbie said. Her mom sighed.
"No, just my powers are more mental than anything else. They're hard to demonstrate, and I'm not actually a superhero. That job fell to your aunt," Cathy explained sadly.

Cathy wasn't said about her older sister being a hero, in fact she was relived that she hadn't been forced to carry on the family tradition, but she was sad that her daughter didn't believe her. She also knew that if Sarah didn't develop powers, that Debbie would likely be the one responsible for keeping up the tradition, and that was a lot of pressure to put on someone.

"Well can we go over to her house? So they can show me?" Debbie demanded, standing up and placing her hand on her hips. Cathy sighed in defeat.
"Let me call your aunt."

* * *

Debbie stood in the middle of her aunt and uncle's underground headquarters with her jaw hanging open. She didn't know what to make of it all. She couldn't believe that her mother hadn't been lying to her, and that there really were superheroes in the family.

Her mom had been having a heated discussion with Sarah's parents since they had arrived and had been shown to the underground room. Apparently Sarah was out with their grandparents so she was none the wiser. Her parents had decided that she would remain in the dark for as long as she didn't have powers, which Debbie didn't understand. But it wasn't Debbie's place to question it and she knew it, so she said nothing after it had been explained to her.

Her aunt and uncle had easily shown her their powers, which had blown her mind, especially the fact that they could fly. After that, the adults had decided it best that they figure out what to do about Debbie's powers, and told her to go off and play in what they called the 'training room', while they talked.

That is where Debbie found herself now, bored out of her mind as she sat on the hard floor at the centre of the large space.

"Debbie, come here," Cathy called out, motioning for her daughter to join the adults. Debbie scrambled up on to her feet and over to where the adults awaited her patiently.
"Yes?" Debbie asked tentatively as she reached them. She saw that all three regarded her with warm smiles, so she took that as a promising sign.

"So, now that you know, you're going to start training here with your aunt and uncle as often as possible. You can't tell anyone what you know, especially Sarah. Okay?" Cathy looked at her daughter with a warm, hopeful expression on her face. She wanted Debbie to be happy, but she also wanted what was best for her, and she hoped that this would do that.
"Okay mom," Debbie said, smiling at her mom reassuringly.

"That's great honey. Now we just have to figure out what to do about your father," Cathy said with a grimace.

So that's how my mom found out about my powers and how I started training. Basically she got Sarah's parents to put her back in contact with Ray (or Captain Man), and told him the truth. He was definitely shocked, but he wanted me in his life so sometimes I secretly went and trained with him in the Man Cave under Junk 'N Stuff. Ryan was none the wiser, and I was happy to grow into my powers.

That is until I found out about his new sidekicks and employees...
But that's a story for another entry.
-Debbie

The Truth About Captain Man's Daughter (A Henry Danger fanfiction)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara