Chapter 5

Entry #5; No One Likes Work
I've known about Ray being Captain Man since I was able to comprehend it as a kid. What I didn't realize, was who he was employing from my school.
Enjoy,
- Debbie xoxo
(P.S. This one is actually from my perspective now since I was there and can actually remember what happened!!)
(P.P.S. I may or may not have gone through my mom's super secret and very personal diary to get the other entries before I rehashed them for this journal. Don't say anything to my mom though. Please!)

"Ray, are you there?" I called out into the Man Cave. When no one replied, I cautiously walked out of the elevator and into the main room of the spacious secret headquarters my biological father called 'home'.

Ray may have been blood-related to me in a paternal way, but with the way our relationship worked it was more like I was the adult instead of him for the most part.

I was actually very curious as to where he was, since he had called me to Junk 'N Stuff only a half hour before. I strolled around the room, studying everything for any signs of life, but there was nothing, not even Schwoz appeared to be around.

Just when I was about to give up and leave back through the elevator, I heard the sprocket open and I turned to look. Ray walked in wearing his Captain Man garb and I was instantly confused. Ray didn't need to walk around in his costume unless he was going out to save Swellview from crime. So what gives?

Ray appeared just as confused to see me as I was to see how he was dressed.
"Debbie? Why are you here?" he asked. He then turned to look at the elevator and his confused expression turned to a panicked one. "You need to hide," he said quickly.
"You called me here! What do you mean I have to hide?" I exclaimed, frowning at him. I didn't miss how his reaction came from looking at the elevator. I took that to mean that he was expecting company.

"I did call you didn't I?" Ray muttered to himself, suddenly appearing to be deep in thought. "Listen, just hide for now and I'll explain everything later," he said, suddenly snapping his head up to look at me.

I groaned but knew that I had to give in, and frantically looked around the Man Cave.
"Where am I supposed to hide?" I demanded. My frustration was certainly growing at this point and I wasn't sure how long it would be before I was tempted to hurt the indestructible superhero standing in front of me.

Ray pointed in the general direction f the couch without saying anything or offering any real explanation. I glared at him as I awaited one, but then the elevator dinged and I was forced go make a mad dash for the couch. I hurriedly dived behind it and bit my lip to keep myself from making a noise in pain as my body connected with the floor. Thankfully I had inherited my indestructibility from Ray and the pain was gone almost as soon as it started.

"Ray, what's the emergency?" I froze as I realized that I recognized the voice. I just didn't know from where.
"Kid Danger, let's head and I'll tell you on route," Ray answered. He wants me to hide from his sidekick!
"What about Sparkly?" I heard, who I assumed to be Kid Danger, ask.
"I'm here!" I heard a new, but obviously feminine voice call out. This time the voice struck me as very familiar. I still couldn't pinpoint where from through, and it was beginning to irk me.

Not only was I curious about their familiar voices, but I was curious about them in general. I knew who Kid Danger was—everyone did for that matter—but I had never heard of this 'Sparkly' person, and I was very curious to find out more about her.

Ray had never mentioned anything about who he employed to work for him. In fact, he expertly dodged the topic anytime I tried to bring it up in conversation. It had gotten to the point where I had basically stopped trying. I still hoped however that one day he'd accidentally mess up and have to tell, or he would just trust me enough to come clean.