Give It Time

*Claire's P.O.V*

Oh c'mon! How'd he find me here?

I hid behind the corner and listened in on their conversation. What did he need Abi's help on?

"What is it, Barnes. I'm kinda busy," she responded dully. "Yeah it seems like everyone's too busy to talk," I heard him say. He was talking about me. "Look," Abigail said. "If you need me to mail a letter to your family, I'll be able to do it later."

Oh. Nothing important then.

I decided to use this moment to sneak out of the admin building and to my tent.

*Bucky's P.O.V*

What the hell?

As I asked myself that she slid a piece of paper across the desk which read:

She's here. We'll talk later

An hour later

I'm laying down in my bed just staring at the ceiling. I kept wondering about what had happened earlier. I was just about to get up and take a walk when one of the boys said that a woman was waiting for me outside. Something about a letter to the family. It took me a while before I understood what he was talking about.

Abi

I rushed out and greeted her with anticipation. "Okay, Barnes," she started, "Claire is at a meeting with Phillips so we can talk now."
"Thanks," I said relived. We walked around for a while. "Are you just gonna walk quietly or are you gonna tell me what had you all hot and bothered. I don't have all day," she said without looking at me.

"I think she hates me, Abi," I said. I hated speaking the thought. She looked at me empathetically, "I'm sure she's just being tough. You know how she gets."

I stopped in my tracks, "Can you stop saying that? I don't know Claire. I knew her. But now she's different. She's cold and hard and in the freakin' army!" Abigail just stared at me.

"Every now and then my Claire pops out. But this version is a whole other story. And I'm afraid I don't know the language she's written in anymore."

She walked up to me and put her hand on my shoulder, "Just give it time, James. Try backing off of her for a while. Maybe she's not too okay with you being here all of a sudden. You know just as well as I do what she's been through. I know that she's tried so hard to keep her past away. So give her space. She ain't heartless. I know she'll talk to you eventually."

I nodded at her words. Maybe she was right. I wasn't planning on giving up on her anytime soon but if I ever wanted her to talk to me again I'll just have to lay off.
I the received a hard punch in the arm. I winced and rubbed where she hit.

"I can't have you thinkin' I've gone soft," she said smiling. "Now go. I'm a busy woman." I laughed and saluted before walking off.

Thanks Abi