Savior

Year Later

*Bucky's P.O.V*

     "Thanks for the milkshake, James," giggled .... Annie? Anne? Ana? Who really cares anyway.

She isn't her

     "No problem, darlin'," I responded. It's Bucky

God you sound like a recording

     "I hope we go out again soon," she beamed. I plastered on a smile.

I doubt it

     The girl quickly kissed me before scurrying back to her house. I'll just call her Annie

     Well, short story is that Annie was just one of many girls I've gone out with this past year. I felt sorry for all of the girls I was 'going out with'; I didn't mean to hurt them. . . I just needed a distraction. They all had nice personalities and nicer faces that were enough to make me forget about Claire for a few hours at a time.   

Claire. . . Damn Barnes it's been a year. What would she think of you if she saw you like this? Does it matter anyway? It's not like she's even here to witness anything.

     This past years' been rough. Steve and I decided to write to her once the social worker let us know her address; somewhere in Kansas I think. We sent her pictures and we told her how much everyone misses her. It was an emotional piece of writing.

     But we never got a response. I decided to try again on my own. This time writing everything I never got to say to her. I must've said I love you about twenty times but I didn't care. I could say it a million times and it still wouldn't be enough.
     I wasn't surprised when she didn't respond. I was more worried.

     I never believed for a second that her real parents were fit to take her away. My mind kept racing with scenarios of Claire being hurt or shut away.
     So I decided to write more often, asking if she was okay and in need of rescue or if she was actually happy.

     As the months went on the cards got less frequently sent. I saw no use to writing to a ghost. Chances are she's forgotten about all of us. . . All of me. . .

My soul had a large part of it missing due to her. And I guess I slightly hated her for it.
Why isn't she writing back?
Claire, do you love me back?
Do you even remember your life here?

      So I turned to anything( more or less anyone ) who could piece me back together. At first I was genuinely trying. I was going out with the intention of finding someone who would last. But it didn't help. None of them even compared. But what they did do was provide a good time. I figured why torture myself with thoughts of Claire when I could have anyone else?

Sound like a stupid way to deal with it, trust me I know I've heard it all from Steve
But whatever helps, helps

     Yeah, Steve's protested my intentions but he eventually stopped. I wasn't hurting any one. I wasn't using them to get under their skirts. This was purely to ease my pain. So he reluctantly dropped the topic.

     As I walked home I got thinking. What would Claire think of me if she saw me this way? If I'm being honest with myself I believe she'd hate me.

Well you know what? Let her hate me. . . She's not around anymore anyways.

***** Warning *****
The following segment contains some parts that might trigger people and I don't want ya'll to go through something so be careful.

*Claire's P.O.V*

     I'm being a hundred percent serious when I say I'd wish I were dead.
My life for the past year has been the worst. These people they've dumped me with haven't changed at all.
     Donald and Francine use me for welfare money they get from the government. They use the money to buy drinks and cigarettes and waste the rest gambling.