Warm Up

*Claire's P.O.V*

After a small conversation with Peggy, she left and I went back to where the men had been. By the time I was done talking to her there were no more men doing push ups.

I walked over to Simon to observe the troops. You're keepin' an eye on Bucky, who are you trying to kid
"What do you think of them?" he asked me. "Hm? Oh, they look promising," I said absentmindedly. He pointed to Bucky who was slightly ahead of the rest of them, "That one is doing a good job. Wonder what his name is. Do you know? I know you have their files."

His name is James Buchanan Barnes. And Simon was right. He was doing a good job. I couldn't believe it. Even after five years he still manages to give me butterflies.

Especially when he works out

Shut up

"Beats me. I haven't had the chance to read them at all," I responded only half lying.

I realized that the best way to train my troops would be to show no favoritism towards Bucky. I can't have him turning me into a giggling schoolgirl. Not now when I've been through so much and worked so hard to get here.

A few minutes later, all the recruits were standing out of breath in front of me. "Tired gentlemen? Why that was only the warm up," I said and they all looked at me with wide eyes.

Oh this was gonna be fun

*Bucky's P.O.V*

Claire. It was her. I was sure of it. I recognized her the second I laid eyes on her. And I know she remembered me too.
But what I didn't understand was her reaction.

For years I had imagined how our reunion would be. We would see each other for the first time in forever and she'd run right into my arms. I'd spin her like I always wanted to and I'd finally give her a kiss. And after being together for a while, I'd ask that girl to marry me. And we'd live a perfect life.

But damn, wasn't reality a bitch. Instead of running into my arms Claire just started to bark orders at me like I was some other recruit she had met that day. And as I ran I wondered why she reacted that way.

Could just be her job, Barnes
Maybe she really did forget and just thought you were crazy for staring at her
What if she did hate me?

As one can tell, these weren't the best kind of thoughts to be having.

What I cannot believe that Claire, little ol' Claire, became an agent of the U.S. Army. Not to mention damn was she intimidating.

When I got back from the lap I felt like my lungs were going to give up on me and all I could think about was a tall glass of water. She then walked in front of us and began to talk.
"Tired gentlemen? Why that was only the warm up," she said to us with a grin. What?!

I looked at her not like she was crazy, like the other men did, but with intrigue. I wasn't going to be afraid of her. This was only Claire. And whatever she had went through to get here, made her strong. Her confidence radiated off of her beautifully and I couldn't help but smile to myself.

"You see those packs over there?" page said to us while pointing at a truck that was loaded with backpacks filled with basic supplies. "You will each carry one of the bags and jog to your designated sleeping area. Which as luck would have it, is on the other side of the base."

I noticed that as she was explaining this, her eyes never went to me. She's avoiding you
Well two can play at this game

When she gave the order to go I walked up to the truck instead of running to it as a chance to catch my breath before having to run again. I looked at the bags. This can't be too hard
The packs were large but I doubted they were too heavy. I picked one up and instantly realized that I was wrong. This thing weighed a ton. I couldn't show it though, now that Claire is here I'm gonna show her that I too could act indifferent.
I put it on and began.

As soon as all the men got their packs, Claire and Simon got into the truck and rode in it beside us to supervise.
Simon, I hope that Claire and him don't have anything going on. I'd hate to have a reason to hate him.

Fifteen Agonizingly Long Minutes Later

I threw down the pack at the entrance of the recruit tent and almost collapsed on the floor. I could really go for some water right about now.
Claire and Simon got out of the truck and addressed the soldiers who all looked dead.

"See? That wasn't so hard now, was it?" she asked rhetorically still avoiding me. That's really getting on my nerves now. What did I do to make you ignore me like garbage left on the street?

"Well boys, that's all the torture I will make you go through today. You are dismissed. Enjoy the rest of the day." She saluted and started to walk away from us.

Once I caught my breath I decided to follow Claire. She of course didn't know I was following her and I made sure not to look suspicious to any of the other people at the base.
I then saw her disappear inside the tent.

Do I really want to see her? Do I need to see her?
Oh god, yes I do

I made my way to her tent and abruptly walked inside. Clearly not expecting any visitors, her startled self gasped and turned to face me. Once she saw it was me her eyes went wide.

I've had something prepared to say for the moment when we saw each other again. But as soon as I looked into her eyes my mind went blank.

"Claire." Was all I said in breathless relief.