Rogers

1928

The new day offered new opportunities for one Claire Doyle. In the back seat of the car she was wondering where she was going. All she was told was that she was going to be living with a new family.
Confused and alone she silently panicked, afraid to make a sound in fear of what would happen if she cried. The man driving and the woman next to him seemed nice but she knew better than to just judge by appearances.
After all, her parents looked like nice people but look what happened.

The lady turned around and Claire silently gasped as she faced her, "Oh honey, you're gonna love the Rogers house. And guess what? We're almost there!" She turned around and her giddy attitude didn't help Claire's apprehension.

What was this family like? What if they were like her real family or worse? The thought of that made her shrink in her seat.
She looked out the window. Brooklyn. She saw the houses, the shops and all the people. This was going to be her home so she might as well get used to it.

The car pulled over in front of a nice looking house and the lady walked out of the car while the man stayed inside. Claire didn't move from her seat but looked out as a blonde woman walked out of the house.
She had a kind looking face; the one of a loving mother. She talked to the woman and they seemed to be discussing things.

"Well kid," said the man driving the car causing her to nervously turn her head to him, "your new home seems nice. Don't be so scared, okay?"
She nodded absentmindedly and she looked at her hands while playing with her thumbs.

Suddenly, the lady opened Claire's car door causing her to look up with wide eyes. "Come on, Claire," she said nicely holding a hand out for her, "Come meet someone."

She looked at the woman's hand and back at her. Deciding not to take it, she got out of the car and followed the lady to the nice looking blonde one.

The blonde smiled at Claire,"Hi, my name's Sarah Rogers. She bent down to face Claire better,"I'll be your new mom. But you don't have to call me that if you don't want to."

Claire stayed silent. She didn't know what to think of Sarah. She guessed she'd have to find out later. Sarah looked nice but her instincts were telling her to keep a distance for now.
Sarah sighed sweetly, "Let's go inside. I'm gonna show you your room." She held out a hand but just as last time Claire ignored it.

She followed Sarah inside to a decent sized room. It was nicely furnished with slightly purple color scheme that Claire found pretty.
The man who was driving the car followed them inside shortly after with the little luggage that Claire had. He placed it in the room, said goodbye and left.
The lady came back and knelt down in front of Claire,"Claire, honey. These people are gonna take real good care of you, okay? You're safe now and nothing will happen to you anymore."

Those words made Claire feel slightly better. Not much but at least she knew her real parents wouldn't get her here.
The lady said goodbye to Sarah and left for good.

Claire walked around her room for a little while. Awkwardly she turned around to Sarah who looked at her and smiled. "You know I walkways wanted a daughter," she said. Claire just blinked not knowing what to respond to that. "I got a boy instead .... Not that I mind of course, he's wonderful," she said smiling to herself. "His name is Steve," she added.

So there would be another child in the house. Claire had no siblings so she had no idea how to deal with one. This made her uneasy but decided not to think about it.

"You could meet him now if you'd like," she said and Claire's heart beat faster than a hummingbirds wing. She wasn't prepared for this. She was scared. "He's really gentle you'll have to meet him eventually," she joked.

Claire nodded a yes as a response. This Steve kid was gonna be her new brother of sorts and like Sarah said, she'd have to meet him eventually.

"Great!" She smiled as she led her out of the room."Oh! He has a friend over," she said kneeling down again to be eye level to Claire.

She didn't want to meet anymore new people. What if this friend was mean and tried to hit her like her parents did when she did something they didn't like. The thought of that made Claire very scared.
Sarah noticed and placed a hand on Claire's shoulder,"He's a very sweet boy. His name is James and he's Steve's best friend! Also, if you start feeling like you don't wanna play with them anymore you could always run inside and find me."

Claire decided to try meeting Steve and his friend. Sarah's comforting words made her feel a lot safer. She nodded and Sarah held out her hand to her; this time, she took it and Sarah led her to where two boys were playing.

There was one small and scrawny blond who was obviously Steve. He looked a whole lot like his mother Sarah.
The other one was a few inches taller and had raggedy brown hair. He wore a foolish grin. This was James.

Neither of them noticed that Claire was behind Sarah until Sarah spoke up. "Boys!" She called, "Stop playing and come here, please." Both of them stopped what they were doing and made their way towards Sarah.

"Steve, James. This is Claire," she said motioning to the small girl next to her. She waved shyly and they waved back a little confused. "Claire is going to be living with us from now on and it would be great if you two could make her feel right at home, okay?"

Both of the boys nodded.
"Perfect!" She said smiling, "I'll leave Claire to you two and if you need anything just come and find me."

Sarah left and it made Claire a little uneasy. She wasn't going to show it though. Claire didn't want to make a bad first impression on these boys.

"I guess I'm your brother now," said Steve as he held out his hand,"I'm Steve." Claire already knew that but said nothing and shook his hand lightly.
"My name's Bucky," said James as he too held his hand out. Claire raised an eyebrow at him. "It's a nickname," he said. "I hate it when people call me James. Just call me Bucky." Claire shook his hand.

They just stared at her for a little while. "You don't say much, do you?" Bucky asked. "Bucky!" Steve exclaimed shaking his friends arm. "What?!" "You can't just say that!"
Claire giggled at this. Bucky smiled at her with his goofy grin.

"Hey Claire?" Steve asked, "how old are you, anyways?"
Claire felt happy around these two. They didn't scare her and this made her feel safe. "I'm seven," she said kind of quietly.

"So you can speak!" Bucky joked and Steve hit his arm again. "Steve and I are eight. But you seem cool enough to hang with us."
Claire smiled at this. It was her first day here and she already made two friends.

"C'mon," Steve said,"let's go play in the yard!" He ran out and Bucky followed motioning her to follow. And she did with a smile on her face.