[17] surprise

calum-

"hello?"

"kaeleigh! i'm about to go over to your house. i'm taking you to the store today to get you a present." i spoke, the phone between my cheek and shoulder while i put my shoes on.

"oh?" she questioned. "what kind of a present?"

"a surprise present."

she scoffed through the phone. "you're such a cliche." i chuckled opening the door and exiting my house. i made my way down the drive and across the street while kaeleigh continued to beg me to tell her what the surprise was.

"i'm not telling you!" i exclaimed as i entered her house. kaeleigh stood in front of me and huffed, crossing her arms in front of her stubbornly.

"let's go then." she stated simply, tossing me her keys and walking out of the house.

i shook my head with a fond smile on my face and followed her. kaeleigh, although she didn't want to admit it, loved surprises. she loved the fact that someone would randomly do something for her for no reason. and they made her happy, which only made her love surprised even more, because someone would surprise her in effort to make her happy.

i climbed in the drivers seat, shooting my girlfriend a wink as i started the car. she stared out the window as we drove, most likely trying to figure out our destination.

i parked in the lot, and ran around to open her door. she rolled her eyes, but a smile was obvious on her face. kaeleigh glanced at the building in front of us, and gasped.

"no way!" she shouted. "no fuckįng way calum!" she stared at me wide eyes. "seriously?"

i grinned widely. "i've been begging my mum for ages, and she finally said yes. probably because she knows i'll be moving out soon, and would take it with me. and i figured that maybe it could be ours."

kaeleigh nearly knocked me over when she wrapped her arms around my tightly, muttering thank you's and words of thanks into my chest. i kissed the top of her head, and pulled away.

"no big deal. let's go."

i took her hand, wiggling my fingers to be between hers. we walked inside the building, and a lady smiled at us politely as we head to the second door.

immediately, barks filled my ears. cages lined the walls on either side of me, and i walked along with kaeleigh to look at the occupants.

"they're all so cute," i spoke, cooing at one of the older dogs. "i want them all."

kaeleigh didn't respond, for she was already at the end of the hall. "cal! come look at this one!" i walked to stand beside her, and looked through the gate.

a small dog peered at me, cornered in the back of the cage. i looked at the papers, noting she was a cocker spaniel. as i looked closer at the young dog, i noticed that there was only one eye looking at me.

"cal she's so pretty," kae whispered. "and it says she's been here for over a month. no one wants her because of her eye."

i glanced at an employee, and walked briskly to him. "can we see that dog in there?"

-

"abby?"

"no."

"molly?"

"no."

"jackie?"

"no."

i huffed. "i give up."

kaeleigh hummed, staring at the dog in her lap. the temporarily unnamed dog licked at her chin, and she let out a squeak of surprise.

"maxie!" i exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air. "name her maxie!"

kaeleigh narrowed her eyes at the dog, before grinning widely. "i like maxie."

"maxie." i repeated, and the small animal snapped her head to look at me. she jumped off of kaeleigh's lap, and i picked her up into mine.

"hey," kae whined, scooting closer to scratch maxie's head.

i leaned forward and lifted kaeleigh's chin up with my fingers, pressing my lips to hers. maxie reached her head up, and successfully licked the base of my neck.

i laughed as i pulled apart from kaeleigh, "looks like you've got competition, babe."

kaeleigh rolled her eyes, "well if you'd prefer the dog-"

"nope!" i cut her off loudly. "nope. i'd never prefer someone over you." i grinned cheesily, kissing her cheek quickly.

---

AGHH *filler chapter*

i'm sorrry guys

i had so much homework these past few weeks like ew

and i wrote chapter seventeen but decided i wanted this to come before it so wrote this real quick and you are going to hate chapter eighteen sorrynotsorry

how are you all? good i hope.

i love you

-k