[19] falling apart?

calum-

"kaeleigh!" i spoke loudly, searching her eyes and shaking her gently. "what happened?"

there were tears pooling in her eyes, and she choked out, "luke's in the hospital."

my eyes widened, and i struggled to find words. quickly, i refilled maxie's food and water bowl that we kept at kae's house. finally, i picked kaeleigh up, and she wrapped her legs around my torso as well as arms around my neck. i grabbed my keys, and carried her across the street to my house and into my car.

i drove to the hospital as quickly as i could, trying to wipe the tears from my own eyes. kaeleigh sat in the passenger seat, sobs escaping her small body every few moments. her knees were tucked into her chest, and i had just managed to put her seatbelt on.

when we parked in front of the giant building, i met her at the front of the car and took her hand. we walked quickly to the entrance.

i made eye contact with michael, and ran forward to the small group of people hunched in chairs. liz was holding her face in her hands, small sobs shaking her body. andrew continued to wipe tears from his eyes, an arm wrapped around his wife in comfort. ashton stood up to hug me, while michael wrapped kaeleigh in an embrace.

"what happened?" i asked, sitting next to them in the uncomfortable plastic chairs. i took kae's hand and pulled her onto my lap.

"he was just crossing the street," michael answered, and his voice cracked on the last word. "but a car didn't see him, and ran the red light."

kaeleigh gasped, and buried her face into my shirt. i rubbed her back soothingly, and placed a kiss on top of her head.

"what's happening right now?"

"he's in surgery or something," ashton shook his head. "a doctor was out here a few minutes ago, but i didn't hear what he said."

i closed my eyes in frustration. luke couldn't be hurt. luke was innocent. he didn't do anything wrong. why him? he hasn't done shīt to anyone. he doesn't deserve this.

"hey," michael said warningly, "stop it, calum. don't get angry, because then you'll do something you'll regret."

i breathed deeply, and shrugged. "i'm fine. i don't know what you're talking about. what happened to the diçkhead that hit him?"

"minor injuries." michael replied. "he's being questioned by the cops now."

"he better have to fûcking pay for this," i spat. "and not just the hospital bills."

-

an hour later, kaeleigh was asleep in my arms. her crying had ceased, and now she lay with her head on my chest and arms around my torso. i rested my head on hers, and i myself was close to drifting off when a man in a blue uniform called out, "hemmings?"

liz and andrew stood from their chairs quickly. i watched as liz collapsed in her husband's arms, more tears streaming down his face. for a moment i nearly broke into tears myself, until a look of relief passed andrew's face, and he thanked the doctor.

"he's okay," he announced, sitting back down next to liz. "he's still asleep, but he's okay."

michael and ashton grinned happily, and i sighed in relief. i rubbed circles on kae's back, calling her name softly in attempt to wake her up. i promised i would do so if any news of luke came up.

kaeleigh mumbled a protest, but her eyes fluttered open. she realized where we were and sat up straight. "what happened?"

"he's okay," i told her with a light smile.

she closed her eyes, breathing heavily. "thank goodness. when will he be up?"

"not sure." i answered. "but it better be soon. i gotta give the guy hełł for putting us through that."

-

"you fučking idiot."

"oh thanks, love you too."

"seriously." i stated, sitting in a chair besides luke's bed. "i was worried as hèll. don't ever do that again."

"okay, next time i'll try my best to avoid the speeding car." luke grinned. he face was slightly bruised, with a bandage on his forehead. his arm was wrapped in a cast, and a boot was clasped on his foot.

"no guitar for a while, huh."

"eight weeks. maybe more." he shrugged. "s'okay. michael can do it."

"how are you feeling?" i asked sincerely. "seriously luke, you just got hit by a car."

"did i?" he joked, but then smiled softly at my expression. "i'm fine, cal. i mean, i'm not. but i will be, promise."

i sighed. "kaeleigh was super worried about you."

"was she?" i nodded at him. "oh."

"you're her best friend."

"no," luke corrected. "you are."

i rolled my eyes. "we're dating. she obviously needs someone to run to when something happens. she can't just tell her boyfriend."

"but she does," luke furrowed his eyebrows. "she doesn't tell me anything more than she tells you. i usually get news the day after it happens, whereas you get it within an hour. don't be jealous, cal. she loves you."

"oh."

luke chuckled. "alright, you can go now. i'm sick of you."

"oh yeah." i stood up. "i only get a few minutes." i leaned down to hug him, and he wrapped his available arm around my shoulder. "get better, luke."

"i will," he called after me as i exited.

ashton went in the room after me, being the last one to visit luke. i sat next to kaeleigh on the bench next to the room. she had already gone in to see him, right after michael.

"hey," she spoke quietly, taking my hand and lacing our fingers together.

"hi," i returned, resting my head on top of hers. "do you wanna go home?"

"in a few minutes." kaeleigh answered. "i'm comfortable."

"in plastic hospital chairs?" i joked, squeezing her hand. "okay. we'll go in a few minutes."

----

this story is almost over...

like a few more chapters + an epilogue over.

:)

i mean it wasn't a great story to begin with and doesn't have that great of a plot and moved rlly quickly but whatevs.

i'll still miss it.

GUYS I GOT ATTACKED MY A CAR DOOR TODAY. i was getting in the car and hit myself in the head with the door. i have a bump on my head. it hurts.

i love youuu

-k